Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my Hard Drive fried?

• Please log in to reply

jade1620

jade1620

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, Please help if possible, I have a Dell DXP062, BIOS Version 2.4.2 ( (03/30/07), running a Intel CORE 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz. I have installed memory of 4.0 GB, single, DDR2 SDRAM. My hard drive is a WDC WD2500JS-75N 9 (500 GB's)

In January, i performed a clean install from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate, this after an in-place upgrade failed due to an incompatible program i had failed to remove. All was well and working fine with Windows 7 for the past 6 weeks but a few days ago, I started to hear mechanical clicking sound, 2-3 clicks at a clip while the PC was loading, a few times it took very long to boot up, so eventally, once i had the system and windows running, i left it running for about a week,
yesterday, thinking it was ok, I shut it down, now I cannot get it started I receive the same error message: Raid Volumes : name: ARRAY, Level:RAID0(STRIPE), Strip: 128kb, Size:465.7 GB, Status:FAILED, Bootable: NO

No Boot device available
strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for set up

Whats does all this mean? is my hard drive fried? have I lost all my data?

I'd appreciate any help, all cables and connections are secure & proper,

Thnaks in advance
jade1620

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think your hard drive is done for. :) You can try testing it to be sure.

How to test your hard drive:
  • Go HERE
  • In part 2, click the link for your brand of
    hard drive, (i.e. Western Digital, Seagate, etc.)
  • Depending on the brand, you will create bootable floppy disk, or bootable CD.
  • If the download is an .iso file type, I recommend
    using BurnCDCC to burn the .iso file to a CD.
  • Once BurnCDCC is installed, open the program, browse to
    the .iso file, and open it to the program.
  • Click start/burn, you will be prompted to insert your CD, Click OK.
  • Once burned, set the BIOS boot priority to CD ROM first, Hard Drive second
  • Insert CD, and save and exit the BIOS usually by pressing F10
  • Follow onscreen instructions to perform an Extended Test
Please Note: Toshiba does not offer a hard drive diagnostic utility, you are out of luck.

Let me know how it goes.

jade1620

jade1620

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ferrari, thanks for your help & the quick reply. OK, I downloaded & burned both the zip & the .iso files, seperate cd's. I loaded both cd's and set the boot order as you suggested. I got the following message: Cannot load the file A:COMMAND.COM, insert correct disk and strike any key

Does this mean my hard drives are fried? Does the fact that I hear clicking mechanical sounds lend any credence to the hard drives being fried? I would hate to buy a new hard drive, only to find out that that was not the problem

Again, thanks for your help on this

Mike (jade1620)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
mechanical clicking sounds like a broken hard drive. If you burned the CD's correctly and you are getting an error message, it ultimately would mean that the hard drive can't be found or accessed. I think the drive is dead. :)

jade1620

jade1620

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Ferrari, your correct, I've confirmed with DELL, one of the 2 250GB drives went sour, luckily i am under warranty, they will send a tech to replace the bad drive this week
Thanks again

jade1620

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Awesome that it's still under warranty. That's always good news. :)

Good Luck with everything.