Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-R/RW IDE Drive Replacement

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I need to replace a CD-R/RW IDE (PATA) drive in my Dell Dimension 4550 PC. I went to a Best Buy store today & was told that most retailers carry only SATA drives these days in stock, that I will need to order a compatible IDE CD/DVD drive online. I've visited a number of hardware websites but many are lacking in complete info. to ensure that their drive is dimensionally and otherwise compatible. I read a number of blogs about folks having problems w/ such online orders, likely they are less than novice in this area as am I. So, I'm hoping to get some help in replacing this Hitachi Mod. #GCE-8481B drive.

Any help you can provide will be sincerely appreciated.

Happy trails.... ProEd

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm surprised Best Buy doesn't carry an IDE drive. But I believe you. Best Buy charges quite a bit too, so I'll help you save some money. Try out Newegg.com. They can be trusted and many many geeks buy their computer parts from them. Good customer service too.

I looked up your 4550 online and the drives that fit your kind of PC are very common universal fitting 5.25" drives. Here is Neweggs line up of IDE 5.25" CD Burners... HERE which are all DVD burners as well... pretty common these days. I've worked with computers just like yours many many times, you need an IDE 5.25 drive. :)

I personally chose a Samsung drive for my system, but all of them will do what you need. LG is a popular brand. You can see that the prices are very nice I'm sure.

Go ahead and pick one out and I'll give your 100% confirmation it will work. All I need to know really is IDE interface, and its a 5.25" drive.

Edited by Ferrari, 20 March 2010 - 05:10 PM.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks Ferrari, that was quick! (fits your name I guess). Anyways, not sure what "5.25" drive" refers to. Again, I'm less than a novice with this stuff. My current CD drive measures 1.6"H x 5.7"W x 7.4"D. Is this standard? The 5.25" drives I recall are long since obsolete floppy drives (giving away my age here).

I like Samsung too, don't know squat about LG (other than their cell phones).

Will I need anything else when I order the new drive? Like driver, burner software, hardware, etc.?

Again, thanks.

Happy trails.... ProEd

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You are welcome. :) Not as quick this time, I ran to the gas station. Luckily we are volunteers and not on the clock. :)

The 5.25" (inches) refers to the opening in the case and the width of the actual cd drive. I can assure you if THIS HERE is your computer, then the drives I linked you to will fit perfectly. There is no other size except slim line drives similar to what goes in a laptop.

Will I need anything else when I order the new drive? Like driver, burner software, hardware, etc.?

It's very simple, just install the new drive exactly how the old drive comes out. Use the same screws and everything. It is actually very simple to do, but I know to a novice it can seem like it's going to be difficult. It will be however hard as you make it. The drives holes will line up perfectly with the case and everything, like I had said, it's universal fitting.

This should help.
Removing and Installing a CD/DVD Drive taken from the manual for your 4550 HERE.
How to open the Side Panel.
Also, it is always recommended to NOT work on carpet, and to touch the metal inside the case before reaching inside the computer or touching its bare components so you ground yourself.

Since you said you like Samsung, THIS ONE is what I recommend.

Edited by Ferrari, 20 March 2010 - 06:02 PM.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ferrari.... You volunteers & your support are sincerely appreciated. You have been PDQ in responding to me. Sincere thanks.

The mechanical part (dis-assembly/re-assembly) is a non-issue and I understand ESD issues. The component compatibility part was my primary need for your help. And you have been most helpful here.

I'm going w/ your Samsung drive recommendation, will let you know how it turns out. I will order tonite since I need to download my TurboTax CD (you will understand).

Happy trails.... ProEd

btw.... If you are a Cardinal'http://www.geekstogo...cons/icon1.gifs fan let me know how St. Louis folks feel these days about McGwire. I haven't seen much lately in the local papers. Mark went to a high school & College (Damien HS & USC) not far from where I live. Just curious.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Good luck with everything, I'm here if you need it.

As for McGwire, the media hit him pretty hard at first. I really don't know what's been going on the last few days, but last I heard most of the fans seem to not want to forgive him. I personally accept his being a hitting coach and I think he has a lot to offer in that regards.

I always think about when he broke the record, how he went over to the Maris Family and said a prayer with them all the while knowing he was taking Steroids/performance enhancing drugs. It doesn't get much more two faced than that. Quite sickening really, but I'm over it... life shall go on.

And finally, I firmly believe what took place between him and Sosa that Summer REALLY saved baseball from going in the ditch if not saved it from completely collapsing. If it took everyone on Steroids to do it, then so be it I guess, because I love me some baseball. :)