Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup Software

• Please log in to reply

munleyj

munleyj

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Does anyone know of a good backup software free or pay version that does full and incremental backups on schedule and easy to use? It want it to do incremental backups but only save a list only files that have changed since the full backup.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello munleyj...

I use Acronis software for this. It does just what you want and is reasonably priced. It also makes recovering after a crash very quick and easy.

Acronis True Image Home 2010

wannabe1

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
@munleyj

What OS are we speaking of here?

http://www.microsoft...res/backup.aspx

Windows 7 has native backup features.

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Windows7. I really don't like it though.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
As wannabe1 said, Acronis TI is a good solution for many of us. Backup Exec and the freeware Cobian Backup are two other good examples.

http://www.educ.umu....obianbackup.htm

munleyj

munleyj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
OK, I have Acronis but I really do not understand how to use it. Can someone send me a step by step instructions on how to do differential backups and continuous backup. I am doing the differential backup up but it looks like it is backing up everything. Please help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Part 5 in the User Manual will give you step by step instructions on how to set up your backups. Be patient when you click the link I provided...it's to a PDF file and it takes a couple minutes to open.

The differential backup is definitely the way to go. It's takes somewhat longer to make the backup file, but when it comes time to recover the system, it's much faster to restore the differential backup than it is to restore an incremental backup.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I personally use Genie Soft's Backup Manager. It's easy to use and very straight forward. I use the Backup Manager Pro version, but they have something new out called Genie Timeline. It looks pretty cool, but I haven't had a chance to demo it yet.