Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD Drive Not recognized

• Please log in to reply

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I recently successfully reloaded Xp onto my computer, but now the optical drive is not recognized or functional. I can hear it spin and see the light flicker when I put a disc in, but there is no icon in the My Computer window. There is a yellow dot with an exclamation point within it in the Device Manager for the DVD/CD-ROM, and I have uninstalled it and rebooted, with the DVD/CD-ROM successfully loading on restart up, according to the 'properties' window for the drive. And the driver update says the current one is good. The Troubleshooter says it can't help with this problem, and that I should seek help elsewhere... like at Geeks to Go, so here I am!
The Device Manager also has yellow question marks and dots with exclamation points in them for 'Other Devices', namely a "Multimedia Audio Controller", a "USB Controller", and a "USB to Host Bridge", but I haven't experienced what those problems are yet. I've not tried to use any of my USB ports since I reloaded Windows.
I tried getting into the BIOS at startup, but haven't succeeded. I also put the Xp installation disc into the DVD/CD drive, and it spins for awhile, but it would never get to the "repair Windows" option. :)
Thanks for whatever help you can.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
OK lets take one step at a time. When you freshly install an OS, the very next thing you do is install drivers for the certain devices that don't have built in drivers to XP. Can you list each device that has a yellow exclamation point or question mark please?

Also, I need the make and model of your computer. i.e. Dell Dimension 3000, or Gateway E2300. After that, I'll be able to help you find all the necessary drivers.

If you have a custom system, then I need the Motherboard Model number, so if you don't know it, do this...

Install PC Wizard:
  • Click PC Wizard in my signature
  • Click PC Wizard 2010.1.93 on the top left
  • Save the file to your Desktop
  • Double Click the setup file
  • Follow installation instructions
  • Once installed, open PC Wizard up
  • Click System Summary Posted Image (Should be highlighted by default)
What does it say across from "Mainboard"?

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I see why you are Ferrari - FAST! Thanks.
This computer is a DIT custom build, about 10 years old. The mainboard is
MSI-MS 6380. Since I wrote earlier I messed around with some of the yellowed devices and got drivers installed for several. What remain with yellow exclamations and questions = the DVD/CD-ROM drive, which is an HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE 8240B, which came with the machine. Under its properties I get a Code 41 indicating that the drivers were successfully loaded, but that the hardware device is not found. There is also still a yellow for a USB Host to Host Bridge, with a Code 28 - drivers not installed.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I see why you are Ferrari - FAST! Thanks.

You are the second person to say that today. :) Thanks!

I'm assuming you are using XP since that is what is under your avatar.

Try one of these for the CD/DVD drive:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions (because I haven't written my canned yet)

How to update drivers for USB: (requires internet access)
  • These are generic instructions, just do this for whatever USB devices have the yellow question or exclamation marks.
  • Click Start
  • Right Click My Computer
  • Select Properties
  • Bring hardware tab forward (should be by default)
  • Click Device Manager
  • Right Click USB Host Controllers and USB Root Hub
  • Select Update Driver
  • Follow the onscreen instructions (see images below)
Did it find any updated drivers? Did this solve your problem?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Ferrari, 20 March 2010 - 10:41 PM.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
:) Holey Kermoley! CDGONE = CDBACK! It worked! So I'm already reinstalling other programs from the CD as I write to say thanks so much! I'll work on the 'other devices' tomorrow, but the DVD/CD drive fix is enough to let me sleep soundly tonight. I am impressed and grateful! :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Congrats. :) I can't take the thanks though, I haven't made my own speech for that yet, but since I needed one quickly I stole it from one of our Trusted Techs, Broni. I'm sure he doesn't mind. :)

Another thing about the USB drivers is what Service Pack are you currently running? XP needs to be updated to SP 3 eventually, and then after that there is about 65 other updates or so. (install all at once). This may help your USB situation. I'd say update to at least SP 2, then try to update the drivers from the instructions I posted.

Updating Windows is simple:
  • Click Start
  • Click All Programs
  • Click Windows Update
  • Internet Explorer will open
  • Follow all instructions and perform any necessary tasks like installing
    Active X to allow the windows update to continue. Agree to all prompts,
    and I recommend using "Express" as the method of install vs. "Custom".
Keep me informed of your progress. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 21 March 2010 - 07:14 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

The Device Manager also has yellow question marks and dots with exclamation points in them for 'Other Devices', namely a "Multimedia Audio Controller", a "USB Controller", and a "USB to Host Bridge", but I haven't experienced what those problems are yet

Have you resolved these yet?
You need to load the main board drivers.
What is the make and model of computer so we can point you to the drivers?

123runner

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
123runner, I think you might have missed one of his earlier posts...

Since I wrote earlier I messed around with some of the yellowed devices and got drivers installed for several. What remain with yellow exclamations and questions = the DVD/CD-ROM drive, which is an HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE 8240B, which came with the machine. Under its properties I get a Code 41 indicating that the drivers were successfully loaded, but that the hardware device is not found. There is also still a yellow for a USB Host to Host Bridge, with a Code 28 - drivers not installed.

CDGONE = CDBACK! It worked! So I'm already reinstalling other programs from the CD as I write to say thanks so much! I'll work on the 'other devices' tomorrow

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We all make mistakes.

Yup, I missed it!

mapnet

mapnet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I realize this is an old thread, AND that there are many threads on this topic which all seem to offer the same solutions.

Please help, I'll try anything at this point I'm 12 hours in with no luck.

Here goes...

Recently had to re-image (if you want to hear a good yarn, that's a whole other story)

XP on a Dell Latitude D-500

I have 2 drives that can be swapped, one is a DVD ROM the other a CD ROM. Neither one is recognized in My computer, or Device Manager. They show up correct in BIOS

I'm pretty sure I've tried all the tips here, and none seem to work. Both worked prior to re-image.

Thank you in advance