Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply

Zepe

Zepe

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer has quit working. When I turn it on all the fans run fine, but the screen remains black. I get 1 long and 3 short beeps, but I can’t find what they mean. There is an ap that one can down load that checks your computer and tells you the meaning, but since I can’t start it…..

It started out by randomly shutting off every so often and I could re-start it and it would run fine for a while. This went on for a couple of days and yesterday it died and wouldn’t start again.

I gave the power supply a superficial check and the +3.3v, +5v and +12v supplies are good. I couldn’t easily get to the -12v line so I didn’t check it.

I have a Thermaltake, Tough Power 850 watt power supply so it should be hefty enough. I guestimate that I’m using about 450 watts so the supply shouldn’t be working hard. I suspect that something might have gone south in the motherboard or CPU, but I’m obviously not sure. I am going to pick up a power supply taster today since they don’t cost much and are easy to use.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or know what the 1 long and 3 short beeps mean? The motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair (the older one) with an AMD A64 x2 6000 3.0G AM2x1M R CPU. The computer is about 2 1/2 years old.

Thanx,
Zepe

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Zepe...

Two things that can cause this are bad (or loose) memory modules or a misconfigured (or failed) hard drive.

What brand of HDD do you have installed?

wannabe1

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The 1 long and 3 short beeps mean that there could be a memory issue or a video issue.
Start with memory and re-seat the ram. Try only 1 stick if you have more than 1.

Zepe

Zepe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I removed and cleaned the connectors on the memory strips (4) with an eraser and made certain that they're seated firmly, but that didn't have any effect.

The main HDD which contains Drive C I just replaced about a month ago. It's a Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB, model No. WD5000AAVS.

I will try swapping the memory modules around and will also swap the HDDs, I have two. I'll also try swapping out the video card If I still have an old one I can use.

Thanx guys,
Zepe

Zepe

Zepe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's up and running again! The problem turned out to be the graphics card. I managed to find my old one, swapped them out and the computer fired right up. So now I'm off to get a new card.

I guess one of the morals here is don't get rid of your old components. I was getting ready to list my old graphics card on Craig's List, I'm glad I didn't.

My thanks to you guys.

Zepe

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I guess one of the morals here is don't get rid of your old components.

You should see all the old stuff I have.

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for letting us know.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible