Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

yellow light on my cpu

• Please log in to reply

Jonathan203

Jonathan203

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok on my windows xp dimension 5150 computer shows a yellow light i dusted,turn off and back on but still does not work and not i will not even turn off what do i do now? :) :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
:)

Based on the info you are giving, I am guessing that the yellow light is on the front of the computer.
I am also guessing that the computer wont turn on.

Is the computer starting at all?
Are there any sounds being made from the computer?
What exactly is it doing or not doing?

123runner

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Last two posts here:

http://en.community....5/19395007.aspx

?

Jonathan203

Jonathan203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well is it turning on but then i will go off and when i press it again it stays on sorter and the yellow light is in font of my computer i had this cpu for about 3 or 4 years and it never done this before :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://en.community....5/19395007.aspx

Re: Dimension 5150/E510 not powering up (blinking amber light)

Alwayszszmiling - 01 Sep 2009 01:24AM

I found the answer to the blinking amber light situation. Its the front Panel!!! This is what i did

1. Unplugged the Power

2. I unplugged the front panel cable (upper right corner of the motherboard)

3. Reset the bios (move the jumper from 2-3 to 1-2 for 5 seconds, then placed jumpers back onto pins 2-3)

4. Replugged the power

5. Pressed the Power Button

6. This will allow the computer to turn on (to keep it turning on, i went into the BIOS SETUP and changed the Power Settings to Automatically turn on after power out)

It turns on everytime. Just need to find a front panel card and cable.

--

LordZog - 02 Oct 2009 04:25PM

Problem is, the front panel according to Dell is 66.95 and 15 to ship then taxes.. A total of $91.88 according to Dell.. I am working on a cleints machine with this exact problem.. Started 4 months ago.. When he turns the PC off, it won't come back on and flashes Amber! He says, it won't allow him back on sometimes up to 6 hours... but, after a while, the light stops blinking and allows him to turn it on.. When its on, he can use it all day with no issues.. PSU seems good, the rails are stable and its the Dell 305W.. This is a front panel issue, but, for $92 dollars, I am looking into just drilling a switch into the top of the case and re-run the wires to the connector on the main board.. Just a matter of getting to the panel and then finding which wires control the switch, and which ones are causing the panel to not allow the PC to power up.. Tomorrow when I try a Antec PSU I have here as a backup that came with my PC, I will try the solution posted above about the power options in the BIOS.. He has a surge protector that has switches for Monitor, PC, and AUX which would work fine as a power button.. Will let ya know what the issue is with the panel once i disect it and see if it has a controller on it (Like an Atmel or so) and see if we can fix this ourselves.. for $92 bucks, I can buy a decent Antec case for that, and it has a working power button.. Why a front panel, that is beyond me.. The diagnostic lights have been confirmed from Dell when I called, that 1 out of 3 machines, the lights don't work as the latest bios (A07) supposedly NO LONGER support the dignostic panel.. haha...