Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE will not load any page

• Please log in to reply

rnd123

rnd123

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My mother has given me her PC and asked me to have a look at it as performance has deteriorated significantly over recent weeks. I know RAM is low (only 256k) so I have ordered an additional 1Gb, and have used MalWareRemoval.com in case the problems were caused by malware - I have been given the all clear after stopping some of the auto-start processes. Performance is a bit better - about 1min from power on to logon and another minute from logon to being able to actually use the PC.
And now the reason for this post - Internet Explorer does not work and this is my mother's preferred browser - she has tried Firefox and Chrome and just doesn't like them. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE7/8 but still get the same non-response. The screen remains white, nothing loads, and the address bar shows:

http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=74005

The cursor remains an egg-timer for quite some time before returning to a normal pointer, even typing in a new URL changes nothing - the screen remains white and the cursor goes to an egg-timer for a few minutes before returning to a pointer.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
rnd123-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

Is it possible that your internet connection is faulty?

Is it a problem caused by IE add-ons? Try running IE with no add-ons and let me know how that works out.

The other thing I would offer is that your RAM is so low it is preventing IE from running. Also, since the RAM is so low, be sure to have a large pagefile available for virtual memory. Let me know if you need help checking that.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Do actually Firefox and Chrome work fine?

rnd123

rnd123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the speedy replies! In answer to your questions:

My internet connection is working perfectly, I have no issues connecting either hard-wired or wireless.
Both Firefox and Chrome work fine - Firefox does frequently report problems for which it needs to shut down but Chrome has run perfectly since I installed it.

With regards to add-ons, I don't think this is the problem - IE was working perfectly until a few weeks ago. My mum installed then un-installed jedi-mail (which I thought may have been infected, hence I contacted MalWareRemoval.com) and the problems with IE seemed to start (coincidentally?) around this time. My problem is IE is totally unresponsive so I can't do anything with it!
The PC came with MSN Explorer installed and this too is working fine.

Thanks in advance.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Humor us please.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 7 and 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

It also might be a good idea to go through our malware removal forum since we can not vouch for what MalwareRemoval.com has done.

123runner

rnd123

rnd123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Guys, I hope I have not wasted too much of your time, while corresponding with yourselves, I have continued trying to un-install and re-install IE, a process I have attempted now at least 4 times! When opening IE to disable Add-ons as per your request, my home page was loaded, the cursor quickly canged from egg-timer to pointer and everything seems to be working ok - I have not yet disabled any add-ons so can only assume there was a corrupt component in windows or a dodgy registry entry. For now all seems well but I will continue to monitor for the next 48 hours and update if there are any developments.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Good news :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
They can be finicky at times.