Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Computer Build-need help

• Please log in to reply

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
This is my first time posting here, I am hoping for some help/assistance.

Yesterday I bought new computer parts in hopes up rebuilding my home computer.

I bought the parts from a local Digilink store, it is closed today, else I would stop in there for assistance.

Computer is an Windows XP based system.

I bought a new:

- 350 watt powersupply
- a new mother board - GIGABYTE MA785GM-US2H
- a new processor - AMD Phenom-2 multi-core processor, 3.0 GHZ, 7MB Cache, socket AM-
3 with heat sink fan.
- 2 GB RAM (single chip)
- New DVD/CD Writer (Liteon, SATA Interface)
- New Hard Drive, SATA Interface (?).. same cable, so I'm guessing

I put in my original hard drive, which is the old ribbon cable interface (is that ESDI ?)
The new SATA hard drive is not formatted or plugged in at this time, only mounted in the chassis

When we turn on the power switch on the power supply and then the case/chassis, nothing lights up, the power supply does not come on.

I have verified cables/wires the best I can... but I believe I have made an error some where.

There are 4 small pairs of wires, coming from the power switch on the chassis. I believe I have these in the correct locations... I am not sure if the white wire on each pair is neutral (negative) or positive... I currently have it positioned as white is positive.

I have a couple digital cameras and can try to take any pictures and post them on photobucket and put a link on here if that would help.

OK, that's the scoop... I need to start somewhere so I thought I'd post the question here.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Michigan

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most modern mobo's have a 20 or 24 pin power connector along with a 4\8 pin connector.
Are you sure you have all the power connected to the MOBO from the PSU?
Right behind the connections for the monitor there should be a 8 pin connector for power on the MOBO.
Is that connector connected?

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Yes, I have the 24 wired-plug connected...it is 20 wires and an additional 4 wires that expand the plug.

I have a 4 plug power plugged in behind the video port area.. the plug in the MOBO is for 8 ports, but my power plug only has 4... it only seems to fit into one half of that plug..what I mean is, I believe I have it plugged into the correct side.

Thanks,

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• Toms_new_MOBO.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wheres the memory?
Also can you clear that up so the cords are not all in the way?
This will also help with air flow and keeping your cpu cooler running

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

The RAM memory is between the CPU and the 24 pin power plug.

I took another picture and tried to move the cables a bit to help out.

Attached Thumbnails

• Toms_new_MOBO_a.JPG

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
An 8pin plug is required to power that motherboard. An extension like this will work... http://www.newegg.co...8-024-_-Product

Also, while I'm here, did you use standoffs between the motherboard and the case where the mobo is screwed to the case? That is a common mistake, so I'm just wondering.

Consult your motherboard manual for exactly where the front panel connectors (i.e. power button) wires plug onto the motherboard. I can't tell if you have it correct or not in the picture.' Positive and negative doesn't matter, it just needs to complete the circuit.

The memory is in the correct spot.

Also, I noticed you didn't buy an Operating System. Do you already own one? The OS on your old hard drive won't work, just so you know. You'll need to perform a fresh install whichever the case.

What do you think rshaffer61?

Edited by Ferrari, 21 March 2010 - 02:55 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah that 4 pin will not work to power the MOBO.
Are you sure your PSU doesn't have a 8 pin connector?

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Thanks very much for the tip on the power cable and needed adapter/extension.

I don't have one of those, I'll have to wait until after work tomorrow to see if the Digilink store has one. I can check at the local Staples to see if they might carry one this evening.

Thanks again, very much appreicate the help and you guys taking the time.

Tom

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will stay with you till you have the system up and running. Please let us know if you can find a connection. Another option is the replacement of the PSU since this is all new parts.
I would suggest going to your shop and explaining to them your issue and asking them to exchange the PSU with one that has the appropriate connections. This would also keep future issues from arising.

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The power supply is new, I got it from them too... so, maybe they gave me the wrong one ?.. or, I just need the cable ?... either way, I'll bring the PC with me to their store tomorrow.

I checked and the power supply only has the 4 port power cable. I looked at my old system board... it only has a 4 port on that... but, the new board has 8....

My wife just got the magnafying glass out... I think she's double checking my work inside the case... :)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

My wife just got the magnafying glass out... I think she's double checking my work inside the case...

:)

Yeah, many of the newer motherboards require a 8pin CPU power plug. What power supply did you buy anyhow? 350watt is kind of low and may be a bit borderline for the system. Can you link me to your power supply?

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I attached a picture here,I hope it comes out OK.

My receipt says 350 watts... but that is not what the tag shows...so, maybe that explains the cable issue ?

Attached Thumbnails

• toms_power_supply.JPG

Edited by 356_Cruiser, 21 March 2010 - 04:55 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Boy... that only has 15amps on the +12v rail. That is extreme borderline if not powerful enough at all.

What is your budget for a power supply? Are you willing to spend more?

I found this Antec Basiq 550 watt PSU at digilinkcomputers.com. Is this the same company you are dealing with?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree a 350 is not going to have enough to power the newer stuff as well as have the correct plugs for the newer MOBO's. As you have now seen. i would recommend a 500 at least since they seem to be more recent in style and the Corsair I like in that wattage.
Depending on what your shop has available I would suggest at least a 500 with the needed power connectors for your MOBO. From there you would need to look at
SATA connectors
Molex connectors
Video card connector
If you have to write this info down and take it with you. Ferrari I don't see any specs on that PSU and it would be good to know if it has the above connectors.

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 March 2010 - 06:31 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
rshaffer61, I looked it up myself on Antec.com but that doesn't help 356_Cruiser does it? :)

Here it is... HERE Connectors HERE

I don't even think it's 80 Plus Certified, but I think he is very limited buying from the local store digilink. I'm trying to keep cost down as well.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 March 2010 - 05:30 PM.