Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time Computer Build-need help

• Please log in to reply

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

Here's the boxes that they came in, I hope they give enough information. I tried to combine the 3 pictures... not sure it will come thru good enough this way.

I'm a pretty light-weight computer user... pretty much just email, I manage a couple very basic websites, we use MS Powerpoint and Excel... that kind of stuff.

www.project356.com
www.356mcg.com

I think they charged me $29.00 for the power supply I have. I don't mind paying more for a larger one... I imagine it is in my budget. Like a lot of folks, I lost my job 18 months ago after being with the same company 20 yrs.. I got another job, but at a 60% reduction in pay... so, I am living on a budget much more these days.

I very much appreciate your opinions and advice.

Attached Thumbnails

• Toms_computer_parts.jpg

Advertisements

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did use stand-offs.. or small pegs that screw into the computer case.. then the mother board screws into these "pegs" on the top of them.

I made sure not to have any extras that could be under the board (and not used) and short it out... but, I'm a novice... if there is a better way, let me know.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a better way.
The PSU Ferrari is linking to has all the needed connectors for you.
If your store has that PSU then I would suggest as he does to get that one.

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
apologies, I was reading back thru the thread, I realized I missed an earlier question. I thought Ferrari was talking about the pegs or stand-off type of things that the Motherboard mounts to.

Also, while I'm here, did you use standoffs between the motherboard and the
case where the mobo is screwed to the case? That is a common mistake, so I'm
just wondering.

It sounds like there might be a better way than what I did.

I was kind of hoping my old hard drive would work, it sounds like it won't. I did buy a new hard drive. I think for now I'll just load XP on the new hard drive and try to use my original one as a slave/secondary unit.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That would work but you still have the power problem and needing a new PSU to fix the issue correctly.
In most cases the standoffs are used and I found they are worth the time to put them in and make sure they are in the right positions. In your case that is not the issue now.

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 March 2010 - 07:23 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I did use stand-offs.. or small pegs that screw into the computer case.. then the mother board screws into these "pegs" on the top of them.

I made sure not to have any extras that could be under the board (and not used) and short it out...

That is 100% correctly done. No worries then, you did it the right way.

I was kind of hoping my old hard drive would work, it sounds like it won't. I did buy a new hard drive. I think for now I'll just load XP on the new hard drive and try to use my original one as a slave/secondary unit.

Your old drive will work as far as compatibility is concerned, it's just that you can't put a hard drive from another computer in and have it boot XP... the Master Boot Record (MBR) won't match up with the hardware and neither will any of the drivers already installed on that copy of XP because they belong to the old hardware, not the new motherboard, processor, etc. You will need to freshly install XP from scratch.

But, what I was referring to has more to do with having a legit legal copy of XP. If you install XP with your install disc, that is fine, but you will need to activate it and validate it with Microsoft. The product key for your old XP installation most likely located somewhere on your old computer case is forever tied to your old motherboard and not transferable. In a nutshell, new motherboard = new computer which requires you to purchase another copy of XP. This is Microsoft's rules/regulations.

I would purchase a better PSU if I were you. See if digilink has the one I linked you too. That will be good enough. I don't think a 350 watt PSU will cut it on this system... you don't want to cut it that close because you can risk the power supply failing and in turn taking your new motherboard and processor with it.

Edited by Ferrari, 21 March 2010 - 07:45 PM.

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

thanks for the info, I'll definately get a bigger powersupply.

Grrrr, I was not aware how the XP stuff is tied to the mother board.... oh well, live and learn.

I have not used or installed Windows 7... so, maybe this is the time to start.

I'll stop by Digilink after work tomorrow, I'll post what I find out.

Thanks again everyone, appreciate your time.

Tom

356_Cruiser

356_Cruiser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK here's the scoop.

I stopped at Digilink after work with the system case.

I had 1 connector in the wrong spot... I had the floppy drive connector plugged into one of the on board fan plug/ports.

The 4 port power plug works in the 8 port... not sure why, but it works.

I got an extension cable so that I can get power to the new hard drive.

They refused to take back the power-supply, even though it was sold as a 350 watt and the tag/label on it says 300 watt. They said it "peaks" at 350... I have 7 days to return it for a full refund.

I ordered a 550 watt from a shop near work and am picking it up tomorrow... I'll swap power supplies and return the 300/350 I currently have.

Any tips on where I can buy Windows 7 or XP at a bargin ? ... we are unable to locate our Windows XP CD.... still looking.

thanks again for yesterdays help.

Tom

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Windows XP Pro 32 bit (will only recognize about 3.2-3.5gb or RAM because of 32bit)