Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing internet connection every night.

• Please log in to reply

erik567

erik567

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
So this has been going on for weeks and weeks, I am just not sure how to fix it, so i decided to come here.

When i turn off my laptop to goto bed, i have internet access (the connection is wireless, D-link 802.11/2.4ghz, DI-524). When i wake up, I lose the connection, but it still says its connected to my wireless network. To fix it, i've just been disconnecting, and reconnecting, but its getting kind of tedious to say the least!

Any fixes? or am i stuck with a faulty network card?

Thank you.

Edited by erik567, 21 March 2010 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Your ISP is automatically disconnecting you after a couple of hours of inactivity?

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Your ISP is automatically disconnecting you after a couple of hours of inactivity?

But my PS3 is wired to the wireless router with ethernet, and doesn't have these problems.

Also, this just started happening when i put a password on my wireless network.

Edited by erik567, 21 March 2010 - 02:37 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
When you power down the laptop you lose connection to the network. When you power it back up, you need to type in your password to re-authenticate yourself to the network. If it has a 'remember me' or an 'auto-connect me' type setting, use it.

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

When you power down the laptop you lose connection to the network. When you power it back up, you need to type in your password to re-authenticate yourself to the network. If it has a 'remember me' or an 'auto-connect me' type setting, use it.

yes. I do that. still disconnects. even with the username/pw remembered, and auto connect turned on.

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

yes. I do that. still disconnects. even with the username/pw remembered, and auto connect turned on.

Well, i went into properties, and unchecked connect to a more preferred network if available. didn't D/C this time.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
There you go. :)