Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[FIXED] Downgrading from Vista to XP - C drive is missing

• Please log in to reply

cyangamer

cyangamer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. Up until now, I've been dual-booting Vista on my C drive and XP on my D drive (same hard drive, different partitions). Now, I would like to just downgrade completely, as XP is the only OS I really want to use, but its partition is only 40 GB (and already filled up).

There are TONS of tutorials on how to do this, so that's not my question. See this link for just one of the tutorials out there -- the one I'm following currently) My problem comes from the fact that, after I go into the Recovery console and make the changes to the C drive, it still doesn't appear when I try to install XP (only the D partition appears). I originally thought that this was because of the age-old SATA driver problem... but that wouldn't make sense, considering I did install XP on that hard drive and it works fine.

NOTE: I'm aware that there is a rather obvious work around: Would simply deleting the boot manager for Vista (which I've already done) and just booting into XP every time be a better alternative? It's not the C drive, and some applications require the C drive to be the "main" drive to work 100% correctly. TBH, I prefer to boot from the C drive.

What's your advice? Is there a way to get the C drive to appear in the Windows XP installation, or must I settle for the cheap work around?

EDIT: Naturally, I find a solution right after I "give up" and post a topic. Ignore this please.

Edited by cyangamer, 21 March 2010 - 02:00 PM.

Advertisements