Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to remove XP from slave drive

• Please log in to reply

Jerrod1117

Jerrod1117

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I wiped and re-installed XP for virus reasons...somehow in the process of installing the OS ended up on my slave drive which is obviously not where I wanted it so now I have XP and my primary and secondary drives. Completely useless to me so Im just searching for the easiest way to remove it from my slave drive without deleting all of my data and files.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Jerrod1117

This probably means that you also have a choice when the computer boots up as to which XP you want to start.
We need to check that 1st.

After that it just a matter of editing the boot.ini file (if needed) and then deleting the windows on the slave drive.

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

Jerrod1117

Jerrod1117

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin