Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1525 with multiple BSOD

• Please log in to reply

megzlilpegs

megzlilpegs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Firstly..I am not at all computer saavy, just a 17yo girl who's pissed that her laptop won't work. I apologise in advance for my, er, 'dumbness'.

So, about a month or two ago I my laptop just randomly started having trouble starting up. It got to the actual log in page, where it would freeze up and then restart. Eventually i got to the menu that let me launch startup repair, and it was going fine until i got a BSOD message saying; "stop: c0000102 {corrupt file} the file or directory \windows\system32\WerFaukt.exe is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk utility.' Previously the laptop had been infected by the win32 virus of some sort, but we'd gotten rid of it, so i assume it wasn't that..

Anyway this was the point where i started to get out of my league, so i called my boyfriend around to take a look at it and ran the OS off the CD and did startup repair. Somewhere in this (on a blue screen..tests of some sort?) we found that the laptop was WAY overheated, by over 100 degrees. We were thinking of taking off the back and dusting it, but we weren't sure whether opening it would void the warranty, so we didn't. Instead i was meant to call Dell for support. I never did..i simply forgot, and forgot, and forgot.

About three days ago i came home to find it wouldn't turn on (power, but no startup thing..is it called POST or something?) so i left it overnight and the next day it was fine and has been until now.

Ironically, the day i remembered to google Dell to get their support number was the day the laptop decided to spaz. So, i turned it on today and everything loaded as normal, nothing was out of place at all. Until, just shortly after loading, im met with a BSOD stating;

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO"

then something about 'preparing to dump memory, dumping memory= 10' it froze on that screen so i restarted, but nothing would load up again so i left it alone. About half an hour later i tried again and got another BSOD;

"memory read/write failuer at 00C53344, read C72AC52A expecting C52AC52A
to reselove this issue, try to reseat the memory.
Decreasing available memory.
Memory adress failure at 08C00000, read memory adress 00000000 expecting 3F3F3F3F
to resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory.
Decreasing available memory.
The ammount of system memory has been changed
If you did not change your memory...
To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory."

The next time i restarted i got;

"The ammount of system memory has been changed
If you did not change your memory...
To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory.
WARNING: the battery cannot be identified. This system will be unable to charge this battery.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. Press F5 to run onbard diagnostics."

The next time i received;

"WARNING: the battery cannot be identified. This system will be unable to charge this battery.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. Press F5 to run onbard diagnostics."

*Note that the laptop had to be left for 15-30 mins before it would start up again after a BSOD.

So i left it for a long time, (5-6hrs) and came back to it just now, only to get several BSOD'S as follows;

"MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

then;

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA"

On both of these it said something about dumping memory, but it was VERY quick so i couldn't quite catch it.

The next time i simply got a black screen with "BootMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot."

Half an hour later i got to the startup repair menu (odd) and tried that, but when it came up with the box (?) the OS was not listed..and i didn't know what to select out of the hundreds of files so i've left it there for now.

Is there anything i would be able to do or should i just give Dell a call tomorrow?

Sorry for the huge post, but I'm panicking.

Advertisements

Lister192065

Lister192065

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Here are some excerpts from the G2G STOP Codes thread that relate to your STOP code problems:

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Possible Resolutions:

• A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

• A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

• If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XPl, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates

--

Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Possible Resolutions:

• If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace the hardware to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the hardware manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Stop 0x50 messages can also occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If the file name is listed, you need to disable, remove, or roll back that driver. If not, disable the recently installed service or application to determine if this resolves the error. If this does not resolve the problem, contact the hardware manufacturer for updates. Using updated drivers and software is especially important for network interface cards, video adapters, backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools. If an updated driver is not available, attempt to use a driver from a similar device in the same family. For example, if printing to a Model 1100C printer causes Stop 0x50 errors, using a printer driver meant for a Model 1100A or Model 1000 might temporarily resolve the problem.

--

Have you changed anything (in terms of hardware) on the laptop? updated drivers? installed a USB dongle/adapter?

You could try testing the memory in the laptop using MemTest86 found here:
http://www.geekstogo...t86-file11.html

I'm sure one of the G2G or a another member will help you more or correct what i have written.

Note to G2G Staff: If this post violates TOS in way of providing unauthorised help or advice, please delete.

Edited by Lister192065, 22 March 2010 - 07:41 AM.

megzlilpegs

megzlilpegs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for all that :) so its the memory or something? The weird thing is i havn't changed anything in terms of hardware on the laptop for a long time, if ever..i generally leave that to the pro's. Could it be related to the fact that it was way overheated? Or are the two just seperate occurances? Hm, thanks for the link but if i cannot get past the Advanced Boot Options menu (if and when it shows up..) how would i use it? thanks for replying :) Oh and a lot of those mention antivirus programs..i am running Avast!..if that makes any difference, i dunno.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.