Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Importing Bookmarks, files, etc. from old user profiles

• Please log in to reply

kikster

kikster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My PC was overrun with some unknown virus/trojan, idk. It would crash with every scan I tried to run, and eventually came to a point where it would not stay on, couldn't do a system restore, couldn't even boot in safe mode. Tried to get help in the malware forum (http://www.geekstogo...ns-t271708.html), but to no avail, things had just gone bad, quick.

So I attempted to back up whatever I could, and did a full System recovery. I've reinstalled updated versions of Avast!, SUPERantispyware, MalwareBytes, updated Windows (which there are new ones every time I log on) and everything else suggested on the "safe computing" section of the forum (even all the suggestions and extras). So first question, what else needs to be done immediately after a system recovery? I am running tons of scans and such, but not finding much, am I still infected, or at high risk for infection?

Second, only one user account shows now, and that is the new one that was created with the system recovery. At first, when clicking on My Documents, My Pictures, etc., I thought that all was lost, and that maybe they weren't backed up properly. But a little searching on the hard drive and I can see them, and even access them, but it just takes a lot of steps to find it each time. I can see and access all user accts through the C: (folders), but I don't want to have to do that every time. Is there a way to merge the old admin user acct with the new? or to get them to show at the startup screen again (there were 2 accts before and one now so there should be 3 total)? They don't even show up in the control panel with the "user profiles". I have to go through My Computer, and click a zillion things to get to it. I've added a shortcut to the desktop for now to make it easier, but I'd like all of my old docs to show in My Documents, My Music, Pictures, etc.

Third, I'd like to access my Mozilla bookmarks from the current, updated Mozilla that I re-installed. Again, I can see them in a file on the hard drive, but it seems like Mozilla will only allow me to import one at a time. Is there a way to send all of my bookmarks from he hard drive to the bookmarks toolbar?

Sorry so many questions, but I'm really hoping someone can help me out...

Edited by kikster, 24 March 2010 - 08:12 AM.

Advertisements