Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Wanting to upgrade my CPU heatsink...

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I'm looking to upgrade my CPU heatsink/fan assembly as the one i have is about 2 years ago and if i'm honest, it's getting clogged, i've tried compressed air (can) and a heavy duty compressor, none of which clear the crap from the fan/heatsink assembly so i'm loooknig at a new one.

The processor i have at the moment is a Intel Core2Quad Q6600, stock speed (2.2GHz) Socket LGA775, My motherboard is a stock Foxconn P9657MA-8KS2H that came with the system.

The heatsink i have at the moment is the stock heatsink.

I have a budget of about £70 GBP.

Edited by Lister192065, 22 March 2010 - 11:28 AM.

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

The other thing you can do is remove the fan from your current heatsink and simply wash it in the sink. Let it dry, attach the fan, clean off the old thermal tape or paste with acetone or 99% isopropanol and reapply a fresh layer.