Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR missing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will put a uncompressed version in your files.

Advertisements

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well, now my new problem to fix the NTLDR....My husband says he didn't set up a password on computer, but I tried to put in some passwords and nothing. I got the winXP cd to load up, finally, and now how am I going to fix this without a password??? Any solutions? I looked a few times about this, and it seems that there is no find to a password.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If no password was ever setup leave it blank

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I did leave it blank. But my husband says he didn't set it up, but it's obvious he must have if I tried as much as I could to put in what he normally uses as passwords. When I left it blank, it gave me two more tries until I asked him.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we have to do this a different way.

This will allow you to burn a Recovery Console cd
  • Download the recovery_console_cd.zip from here file to your drive and unzip it to it's own folder.
  • Download the correct floppy disk setup package for your operating system from Microsoft and save it to the folder you extracted the zip to.
  • Rename the floppy disk setup package to Bootdisk.exe
  • Insert a blank cd into your burner.
  • Now just double click the RecoveryCD.bat file and follow the prompts to burn a cd that will allow you to boot to the recovery console.
[/quote]

Put disk in system that is not working and when it boots to the recovery console type in the following and let me know what happens.

ntldr /u C:\ntldr

Then press Enter

Type Exit and then Enter
Take out the cd and see if system will now boot on its own.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 March 2010 - 09:09 AM.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK, I'm back again. So, I did the Recovery Console CD with the Bootdisk.exe. Got the CD to load get me to Recovery Console C:\windows command. Passed thru without a password, then typed in your command line above exactly like you had with spacing and capital C, and my response came back as

The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands. I typed HELP and do not see the ntldr anywhere listed.

So, what's the next step?

Thank you!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You typed it in exactly like this:

ntldr /u C:\ntldr

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes, I get thru the windows setup blue screen, type in R to go to recovery console, then type in 1, to go to c:windows, then press enter to leave password blank, then get the c:prompt and type in exactl what you have there. I tried more than a few times. nothing

there is a space after ntldr, then a space after /u, with a Capital C for the drive. nothing....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well let me see what I can find on this and can you try doing the other steps again with the XP disk and see if it will go thru now.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I did try with the XP disk, and it asks for the password still.
Funny thing is, that when I put in the recovery cd, when it was loading the cd, it took a shorter amount of time to load than the XP cd. The XP kinds takes a little longer to get thru to the console. Do you think it might be missing a file or something within the CD?

Advertisements

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
The files currently on the cd are:
I386 with other files loaded (is the NTLDR in here somewhere?)
WIN51IC
WIN51
WIN51IC.SP2

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok lets go back to the recovery disk then and try this. I missed a step so lets try it this way.

asumming that the CD-ROM Drive is E: if not, it will be necessary to type in the correct Letter for the correct Drive.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\ press enter
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\ press enter

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok, so I put in recovery cd, get all the way to c:windows typed in exactly as you said, and i get a message;
the system cannot find the file specified

Is there a way I can do this with a flash drive maybe??? If so, how would I direct computer to read to that drive? Is there a letter or something?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Remember anything thats says E you would have to replace with whatever drive letter your cdrom is.
The same would go for the flash drive... you would replace the E with the letter of your flash drive. Is your system capable of booting from the flash drive?

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
yes, i did change letter drive to cd-rom. i only have a floppy and 1 cd-rom, and usb drives installed. i assume the cd-rom then becomes D:, i tried d:, e:, f: and still no success.

So, now what can I do? I'm not sure if the CD has the necessary file located somewhere on it. Is there something I can look for on the CD that I should look for then?

I'm sure you're getting frustrated with this just by advising, you can only imagine how I feel actually do this. I feel like things go good when the cd is moving, but then i get to a point where everything just fails.....