Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR missing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The cd should have a I386 folder and it should be about 400megs in size.

Advertisements

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
When I right click on folder, i see it says
size 7.46 MB (7,829,119 bytes)
size on disk 7.62 MB (7,999,488)
contains 217 files, 1 folder

In the I386 folder
I do not see NTLDR unless it's filed differently, I do see the NTDETECT in the folder.

Edited by pekkles04, 27 March 2010 - 08:34 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another option with the XP cd and command prompt.

try typing compact /u C:\ntldr
press enter
type exit press enter
then reboot

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
You say above to use the XP cd and the command prompt, however, I don't have password, which is why I'm trying to use the recovery console cd.

So, I used the recover console cd I created. I get to the recovery console to the C:\windows prompt, after I bypass the password, then you want me to type in the
compact /u C:\ntldr

just like that?

Well, that didn't work because it gave me an error message.

I'm not sure that all the commands you are providing to me, I'm doing correct. I type in exactly as you say, but can you be a little more explicit. I just want to make sure I'm doing this the way you would if you had the computer in front of you, but it seems like I'm always doing something wrong.

Thanks!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I am giving you exact instructions as to what to do.
What error message did it give you exactly?

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I get the command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok with all this i see there is only two ways to fix this.
Repair Installation or Fresh install
Fresh install would mean a format losing all data
I would like to try one other step before this.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
OK, well this is what I got on screen.

chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume
40957684 kilobytes total disk space
28032184 kilobytes are available
4096 bytes in each allocation unit
10239421 total allocation units on disk
7008046 allocation units available on disk.

C:\windows>

What shall be my next step?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun it to make sure all the errors are fixed.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok, now i did it twice, and it shows no errors

whats next??

Edited by pekkles04, 30 March 2010 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now you need to attempt the first step again. We now know the cdrom can boot to a disk so it's back to step one.

If you have Windows CD...

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
2. Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
You’re going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console:

Posted Image

3. After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number “1").
Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

Posted Image

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair any of the issues I noted in the opening of this guide.
I will introduce them here, and then show the results graphically in the next six steps.
NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
These commands are as follows:

CD..
ATTRIB -H C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -R C:\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which searches for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
A.) Every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT as OS Load Option when the rebuild process is finalizing.
B.) If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intel’s XD or AMD’s NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option.
For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
Here is your computer screen:

Posted Image

5. Following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, it’s still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, in that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit:

CHKDSK /R

6. This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit “Y”, then Enter to confirm your decision:

FIXBOOT

7. It’s time to reboot your PC by typing
EXIT
and pressing Enter.

With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows XP as if your various DLL, Hive, EXE and NTLDR errors never existed.

Thanks To Broni For The Instructions

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi again, ok, I made a mistake. Don't know if you remember, but I have 2 computers with problems. The one I ran the chkdsk on was not the one you're helping me. So, I used the CD recovery you told me to use, to bypass the password, which my husband doesn't know, I used the cd I made you mentioned previously. So, I tried to run the chkdsk with that CD, and I get a blue screen that says STOP:....and some other stuff I didn't write down. So, that cd you had me make doesn't have the chkdsk on it, how can I run it then? I can't use the XP cd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you would need to redo the steps and write down the exact stop code it gives and any other information it may give. Sometimes it will tell you exactly what is causing the problem.

pekkles04

pekkles04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
stop:c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}
The procedure entry point LdrsetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you getting any of the screens for the steps I posted or is it going right to this?