Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 cant see network after power fail

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
We recently had a power failure and now none of the Windows 7 machines can see any of the other computers on the network. We have a total of 6 machines and a home server. The home server and all three of the XP machines are talking to each other just fine, but the Windows 7 machines only see each other. However prior to the power failure, all machines could see each other just fine. If I try to manually connect a Win 7 machine to the home server via the run dialog, it prompts me for a user name and password, when I give it a valid one it refuses it, but yet the home server works just fine with the same user name and password from an XP machine. Any ideas?

Advertisements

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well nevermind, I got it sorted, but here are the steps I took to resolve the issue.

Step 1 - update network card drivers.
Step 2 - reset network group to something like WORKGROUP or something other then your current group.
Step 3 - restart computer
Step 4 - reset network group back to your actual workgroup
Step 5 - restart computer

That should make it so you can see the other computers on the network again. But now you need to fix the issue with the user name and password.

Step 6 - In the Run dialog box type gpedit.msc
Step 7 - Go to [Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network security: LAN Manager authentication level]
Step 8 - change it to "send LM & NTLM responses"

Try it out, if that didn't fix it then look for another answer, but it worked for me.