Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MechWarrior 4 detects incorrect DirectX version

• Please log in to reply

DarkDrai

DarkDrai

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed MechWarrior 4 on my computer recently, and when I try to run it, it gives me this error message:

Requires DirectX 8 or later, found 7.04.00.1792

Now, I have Windows 7, and DirectX 11. I set the compatibility option for MW4 to Windows 98. (It didn't even get this far without that.) I think I might have installed a previous version of DirectX for some other game, because it apparently didn't work with DX 11. (I guess that game works now, because I can't think of another game that's giving me problems, although it might have been Roller Coaster Tycoon 1. It works fine at the moment, aside from occasional crashes. I think...) When I try to install another version of DirectX, it doesn't work, seemingly because it detects that the latest version is higher than the one that I'm trying to install. I'm not sure how to install/reinstall DX 11, and I don't want to just run around and change registry entries willy-nilly without knowing what I'm doing.

I need help. Is there a way to get rid of this old version of DirectX somehow without reinstalling Windows? Or perhaps some other solution that I can't think of? Thank you so much for your help.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
All depends on what version of Windows 7 your have. I would recommend XPM if you have Professional, enterprise, or ultimate editions. As it is, your probably using windows 7 home premium. Due to the age of this game, it will probably not work. Only suggestion that I have is to make sure you run the game as administrator.

DarkDrai

DarkDrai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have Windows 7 Ultimate. And it's not an administrator problem, I think. It's a problem with DirectX...

What's XPM?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
xpm is xp mode. Its a virtual xp install intergrated into windows 7.

more info: http://www.winsupers.../xp_mode_rc.asp

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
sorry about that last post. I meant to follow up with the this info:

http://www.microsoft...pc/download.asp

First post will tell you about it. This post will add info and walk you through the install. I had to do an "anytime" upgrade from home premium to ultimate edition so I could play with this. This will need to be done through Internet Explorer due to WGA requirements.

panther5511

panther5511

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I received the same error when I tried to install MechWarrior 4. Unfortunately, the suggestion to install Windows Virtual PC and XP mode did not solve my problem as I received the same error in XP mode. Do you have any other suggestions? I do not remember installing DirectX 7, although MechWarrior4 seems to think I had. I had DirectX 11 installed when I first installed the game. A friend suggested I try to install DirectX 9c because he had the game running and had that version of DirectX installed. He also seemed to think a computer OS could multiple versions of DirectX installed at the same time. After the install, I ran dxdiag and that software displayed DirectX 11 as the DirectX version that was on my system. I too am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.