Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

Connecting parallel printer to laptop with only USB ports

• Please log in to reply

drapsa

drapsa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an old HP Deskjet 720C printer which uses a parallel port (big cable with 25 prongs). I recently got a new laptop which doesn't have a parallel port, only USB ports. So I purchased a parallel to USB converter and plugged everything in and the computer registers that there's a printer there, it says "Your hardware is installed and ready to use" at the bottom right hand side. So I went to Printers and Faxes and went through the Add Printer Wizard. I used the USB 0001 port (Virtual printer port for USB)and it's saying that the printer is 'Ready' but when I try to print a test page it's still saying "This document failed to print".
Can anyone help me please?

Similar Topics: Connecting parallel printer to laptop with only USB ports     x

james909

james909

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same problem. I think that some of these cables do not work with this printer as I've seen other people post they have got them working no problems. My cable is a Centronics purchased off Ebay. I had to manually add the printer but it won't print because windows 7 didn't detect the printer in the first place via the usb parallel cable. If you got this working please let me know. The time I've wasted on this I could have worked a few hours in a pub and bought a new Wi Fi printer (£40 Tesco). Stupid eh!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 25,729 posts
  • MVP
have you installed the drivers for the printer?

james909

james909

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I plugged in the usb cable a driver installed giving USB printing support. I then manually added the printer because plug and play didn't work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 25,729 posts
  • MVP
you need to install the actual printer driver from HP. you either need the disk that came with the printer or you can download the driver from hp.com

james909

james909

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It isn't available. It tells you it is already part of Windows. I have installed it by selecting it from the list of HP printers when you add a printer manually.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 25,729 posts
  • MVP
ah...i didn't realize i wasn't talking to the OP here sorry.

you need to download the drivers for your printer, a printer cannot print without drivers. i've not seen a printer that had drivers included with windows (actual drivers) for quite some time

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts
I have always had to install a printer driver also.

HP 720/720c drivers

james909

james909

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I thought most printers were plug and play.

Anyway here is the link to HP which I've tried to follow.

http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01874792

Thanks for your help so far.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

you need to download the drivers for your printer, a printer cannot print without drivers. i've not seen a printer that had drivers included with windows (actual drivers) for quite some time

All recent printers do not work out of the box.
A legacy printer such as the Deskjet 720c mentioned here was, with all due respect to the poster, brand new in the days of Windows 95 and XP has built-in support for it already. Therefore they do not need to download anything.

I would actually argue the main crux of the problem is the parallel to USB adaptor in use. These adaptors are, in my own personal opinion, useless and don't solve anything, in fact they tend to create more problems than they solve.

Only the USB printers are plug-and-play. Parallel printers are not plug and play because the technology dates from before Microsoft's big idea of "plug it in and play with it".

Edited by Neil Jones, 12 May 2010 - 03:33 PM.

james909

james909

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I have always had to install a printer driver also.

HP 720/720c drivers

No drivers there

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 25,729 posts
  • MVP

A legacy printer such as the Deskjet 720c mentioned here was, with all due respect to the poster, brand new in the days of Windows 95 and XP has built-in support for it already. Therefore they do not need to download anything.

i would agree with you, if we were still talking to the OP that mentioned a printer make/model. the guy we're talking to hasn't done that yet.

james, what's the make/model of your printer?

I would actually argue the main crux of the problem is the parallel to USB adaptor in use. These adaptors are, in my own personal opinion, useless and don't solve anything, in fact they tend to create more problems than they solve.

i concur. these adapters are typically more trouble than their worth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured