Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory

• Please log in to reply

pk147user

pk147user

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Memory question
Hi guys,

My name is Pete and I am from the UK

I have a question about something that happened recently.

My machine setup was
Motherboard - MSI K9MM-V
Memory - 2GB ram stick (DDRII 800 SDRAM) (I also have 2 x 1GB DDRII 667 SDRAM which I had in the system before I got the 2GB 800 stick) (I know these are all working)
CPU - athlon sempron 3800+

About a month ago my machine kept resetting now and then randomly. Just before it reset I would hear a fast higher pitched whirl then resest. So I would let it reset and it would go for a random amount of time, it didn't matter whether I was playing a game like cod4 or just regular surfing it would do it.

Then it started to stop at post with an error something like - your last attempt at overclocking failed etc.

Now I thought something was wrong with my cpu overheating. I read somewhere that the motherboard was the problem and it was causing the CPU to overclock. I decided to keep going and see what happened. Then after about 5/6 times doing it it would reset and then blank screen. But all the fans inside the tower were going, dvd rom would open and close and agp gfx card would light up and fans on it spinning.

So I bought an ASROCK - AM2NF3-VSTA motherboard(because I figured since it had 2 xIDE and 2 X sata ports I could use my existing hardware with it easy enough)
Also it said that it could take 4 x DDRII DIMM slots (no mention of SDRAM but I figured DDRII was the same (I'm thinking this could be the problem which i'll get to later)

I installed the basics onto the new motherboard. It just did the same as the K9MM-V motherboard did. Wouldn't go to post but all fans going and agp card lighting up etc.

So I figured it was the CPU that had gone. So I bought a new one. athlon 64 3200+. Installed that but the same thing happened, no post just all going.

Then something made me think it was my 450w power supply, maybe somehow there was power but not enough to send the cpu to post (god knows lol)

So then I took apart the power supply(after leaving it for an hour) and there was dust everywhere inside (2 years old). (what I should have done was try the new cpu with the K9MM-V but I didn't)

So, der lol, I chucked it in the bin and then a few days later went to buy a power supply. I installed that with the new motherboard and the new cpu but same thing happened. fans spinning etc etc. I was scratching my head.

So I decided to try the old K9MM-V and old sempron 3800+ with the 2gb ram stick and viola it went to post and loaded up.

So I was scratching my head a lot thinking 'Eh!! does this mean that my old memory is not compatible with my new motherboard?'

So here I am, I spent enough on new parts (which is no big deal because I can always use them as testers in future or build another system out of the olds) but don't really wanna splash out on new memory if the old will suffice. I don't know if the new motherboard is faulty or not.

In the K9MM-V manual it says
Memory Support
DDRII 400/533/667/800 SDRAM (2 GB Max)
2 DDRII DIMM slots (240-pin/ non ECC)

In the AM2NF3-VSTA it says
4 x DDRII DIMM slots
Support DDRII 800/667/533

So basically is the memory the problem? The new motherboard manual says nothing about SDRAM,

Please help, if my post is too long I apologise, I just figured to give all the information so it saves people asking what system etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Advertisements