Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need to find PC backup software

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have Windows Vista Home Premium, which only comes with a basic file backup program. What I would like is something like the full version of the Windows program (only available in Business and Ultimate,) which copies the entire computer, OS and all.

I have tried a few free programs, but none of the ones I tried allowed me to backup to my 1TB networked hard drive. is there a free program that supports all of this?

Going off on a tangent here, a while ago, I realized that my computer also came with a limited version of Remote Desktop Connection. I only had the client (I could only connect to other computers,) but not the server (I couldn't be accessed by another computer,) like in Business and Ultimate (which has both.) But I found a blog that showed that my computer did have the full version, the client portion of the software was just "locked," or limited, and a registry change "unlocked" the client portion for use. Do you know if the backup software is like this (called Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore Center,) or am I getting my hopes up?

Thanks.

Advertisements

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hi, are you wanting an online backup solution, or just a program that backs up all of your files to an external hard drive/network drive?

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I want to make a complete PC backup to my external hard drive, which is on my network.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Quick Google search came up with this
It lists quite a few free backup solutions. Worth a read.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks, I'm testing the first option, Macrium Reflect Free, which allows me to make an "emergency rescue" CD if my HDD crashes, which I think is really neat.

It says it makes a complete image of my HDD, which is what I'm aiming for, but it says it uses Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS,) and I'm not sure what that is.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

The Volume Shadow Copy Service provides the backup infrastructure for the Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating systems, as well as a mechanism for creating consistent point-in-time copies of data known as shadow copies.

The Volume Shadow Copy Service can produce consistent shadow copies by coordinating with business applications, file-system services, backup applications, fast-recovery solutions, and storage hardware. Several features in the Windows Server 2003 operating systems use the Volume Shadow Copy Service, including Shadow Copies for Shared Folders and Backup.

source

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
To tell you the truth, the help file in the program was less confusing for me, but I understand how most of the backup process works, but I'm not sure how tedious backing up might be. I couldn't find if the scheduled backups create an entire new backup, or update the old one. My first backup is estimated to take 12 hours, backing up 100+ GB of stuff over a wireless router. I'm gonna have to keep my laptop on a lot longer than I like to to back it up.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,756 posts
Hi.
Try Paragon Hard Disk Manager. I think the free one is ver. 9.5.
Has extensive backup options, bk up to, network, CD, recovery partition on your computer plus more. Also partition management and emergency recovery disk.
One program I wouldn't be without.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I can't tell you how the backups work (update or new) because I haven't used it. But if you search around on Google, you should find the answer :) Or try this
Backup a folder full of word documents. Time the backup. Back it up again, again time it. Now edit the files. Back them up again and time it. If the backup times change, then it is only updating them, if it stays the same, it is making an entirely new backup.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply, I had no time to get at my computer.

Turns out that Macrium Reflect didn't update an image, just overwrites the old image. I found another program farther down, called MS SyncToy, which does most of what I need. I'll stick with that.

Thanks for the help.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
If you are looking to back up files and folders I recommend SyncBack Free. There are numerous ways that you can set it up.

I use DriveImage for a image of my drives. I also use Easeus ToDo backup Free. Easeus creates images and will clone a drive also. Easeus will create a boot disk. I added Easeus and Drive Image to BartPE boot disk also.