Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problem ; Hard Drive / Power Supply !

• Please log in to reply

kws_divine

kws_divine

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Hello, please take the time to read this.

First off, the power supply I HAD in my computer, was from when I first got it, it was a 400w atx, it's been in here for a couple years now and seeing as I do leave my computer on it died, ofcourse.

Okay so for a temporary one, I threw a 300w in there which was stupid, I know, but I was just waiting for my new one I had just ordered to come in. I ordered the Corsair tx650w power supply off of new egg, it came in, fresh out the box and I installed it in correctly.

Now, once I start the PC up it starts to load, then it gives me this message : "DISK BOOK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK THEN PRESS ENTER"

Here I am thinking what the [bleep], because my computer was working perfectly fine before this power supply crap, anyway I turned it off, I had to find my system disk, and once I finally found it( about a week and a half later ) I booted the pc up one more time to see if anything happened, and now it just would get to the loading screen and reset itself and repeat in a loop.

I booted from the system disk and went into the recovery console and typed " chkdsk /r ", and it told me " the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems "

Now what, I really would like to find something to fix this, the last resort I want to do is format, because I have very important things on the computer.

Help is very much appreciated ! thank you !!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Reformatting (that drive) isn't going to solve anything because it's on the way out.
You'll need to buy a new hard drive for it, then put Windows back on the new drive, the drivers, the patches, any other programs that you use, then get what data you can off the old drive before it packs up altogether.

kws_divine

kws_divine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
What can I do to get the data I want off my corrupted HD

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A couple things you can do.
If the drive is that bad, the more you use it, the worse it will get. Stop using it.

Place the drive in another desktop computer as a slave and retrieve your data, or
place it in a USB enclosure and attach to a desktop or laptop.

kws_divine

kws_divine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
the drive will not work..

computersecurityprotection

computersecurityprotection

• Pip
  • 3 posts

First off, the power supply I HAD in my computer, was from when I first got it, it was a 400w atx, it's been in here for a couple years now and seeing as I do leave my computer on it died, ofcourse.

Okay so for a temporary one, I threw a 300w in there which was stupid, I know, but I was just waiting for my new one I had just ordered to come in. I ordered the Corsair tx650w power supply off of new egg, it came in, fresh out the box and I installed it in correctly.

Now, once I start the PC up it starts to load, then it gives me this message : "DISK BOOK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK THEN PRESS ENTER"

Here I am thinking what the [bleep], because my computer was working perfectly fine before this power supply crap, anyway I turned it off, I had to find my system disk, and once I finally found it( about a week and a half later ) I booted the pc up one more time to see if anything happened, and now it just would get to the loading screen and reset itself and repeat in a loop.

I booted from the system disk and went into the recovery console and typed " chkdsk /r ", and it told me " the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems "

Now what, I really would like to find something to fix this, the last resort I want to do is format, because I have very important things on the computer.

I think the wires of your hard drive are loosed from the motherboard try to reconnect it properly. Or boot from your CD rom. You can change it from your bios by pressing delete,F1 or proposed button then find out booting options then set ur CD/DVD rom to first boot device. Then see whether its working or not. MAy be your SMPS wire connected on motherboard can be loosed. Reconnect it properly.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You might try http://www.Ontrack.com. (Note that it can get expensive though).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

So it is mechanically dead and making all kinds of noises???
Did you even try it as a slave or in a enclosure?

If you do not try, then you will never know. The the only option is a data recovery service.

kws_divine

kws_divine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

I think the wires of your hard drive are loosed from the motherboard try to reconnect it properly. Or boot from your CD rom. You can change it from your bios by pressing delete,F1 or proposed button then find out booting options then set ur CD/DVD rom to first boot device. Then see whether its working or not. MAy be your SMPS wire connected on motherboard can be loosed. Reconnect it properly.

I'll try this, and I'm not sure how to do a slave 123Runner

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
You could try using a CD-Boot oprion like the Ultimate Boot CD made with BART PE. just type in "The Ultimate Boot CD" into Google and it'll be one of the first few listed. This will boot a windows environment entirely from your CD ROM and allow you to access your drive as if it were a slave on the machine. This way you wont have to worry about physically making the drive a slave.