Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frequent Blue Screens

• Please log in to reply

jgarrison

jgarrison

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

This site came highly recommended by a friend, so I thought I'd give it a try.
My friend and I built my PC in Dec. 2009 and it ran beautifully until the end of Jan. when I started getting random blue screens. At first it was only once or twice a week, but now its getting to be a daily (sometimes multiple times a day) occurrence.

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon II x4
2x4Gigs of DDR3 1600 G. Skill Ripjaws ram
Western Digital 500GB HDD
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
OCZ 600 watt PSU
Asus M4A77TD PRO Motherboard
Linksys WUSB 600N wireless adapter

The blue screens happen randomly. Sometimes I'll just be listening to music on iTunes, other times I'll be in-game on Steam, but most of the time I'll be surfing the web. It frequently happens as soon as I click on a link.

Here are the stop codes:
0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
0X000000C2 BAD_POOL_CALLER
0X0000001A MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
0X00000018 REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
0X00000019 (didn't display a message)
0X00000024 (didn't display a message)

Thanks for the help,
Joe

Advertisements

jgarrison

jgarrison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I forgot to add that I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
You should post this in other sections as well to get a speedy reply. Make sure you bookmark all the posts.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Download and burn the ISO file to a CD or DVD. Set the BIOS to boot from the optical device and test your RAM.

http://www.memtest.o...6 -4.00.iso.zip

Also, many Linux CDs have Memtest as a boot option.

Oddly enough, I plugged in a USB thumb drive recently, which caused the already running Memtest to fault.

Remove your wireless adapter before testing with Memtest.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

You should post this in other sections as well to get a speedy reply. Make sure you bookmark all the posts.

Wrong multi posting will only slow us down and can cause crossed advise to be given since we will not know what anyone else is advising. Post in one area only and be patient.

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Oh sorry rshaffer61 I didn't realize that. I'll be sure to remember that for next time.

jgarrison

jgarrison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I ran memtest all night last night and it said I had like 18 errors, so I tested each ram stick individually and I found which one had the errors. I took out the faulty stick and now I'm just using 1 2gig stick.

And I unplugged everything except the mouse and keyboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the system now running stable with no more BSOD's?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
jgarrison

It sounds like you have found the cause of your problems. Please post back to this thread in the next week or so, letting us know if the PC remains stable.

jgarrison

jgarrison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I contacted G-Skill and they sent me an RMA number, so I'll be sending in my ram later today. So far I have not had any problems with my PC.

Thanks for all the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and once you get the replacement memory please let us know if the system runs as good as it did before and hopefully better with the memory issue corrected.

jgarrison

jgarrison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'll be sure to post an update.

It seems that by removing the faulty ram I also fixed another problem I had: my PC would frequently not start correctly. I would push the power button and the MOBO would not beep like it usually did and the monitor would not recognize that I had turned my comp on. Other times my CPU fan would crank up to full blast and wouldn't stop until I turned of my computer. These problems would happen almost every time forcing me to restart my computer by holding the power button.

After removing the ram I haven't experienced these problems at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is a great news. :) :)

jgarrison

jgarrison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just got my RAM yesterday, and I haven't had any problems. No bluescreening since I took my faulty ram out

Thanks for all the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.