Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open any application or program.

• Please log in to reply

Sanjikuu

Sanjikuu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently, my computer was infected with the Windows Security Center virus. After following a guide, I was successful in removing the virus with the program 'SUPERAntiSpyware'. I did a full scan of my computer using this program and deleted all files that it deemed necessary. The good news? The virus is gone. The bad news? No application will open, no disk will run, and none of my controls (volume, etc.) are working. I am assuming that what the AntiSpyware program took to be a trojan was actually some of my computer's necessary system files, and I would really appreciate the ability to unmute my sound again.

Allow me to go into more detail. Once my computer reboted from the scan, I was unable to open Firefox. When I clicked on the desktop icon I was prompted to select another program to open it with; when I chose a program, such as Internet Explorer, you would see an internet browser briefly pop up, act as though it were loading a page, shut back down, and be prompted to Run, Save, or Cancel a download of the program you were trying to run. This download is also inactive.

One of the more worrisome things is that Control Panel is locked up as well. When I attempt to open, per se, System, I receive an error message stating 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe - Application not found.' I am able to access control fuctions in Safe Mode, because I earlier used System Reset.

I have tried using the cd that came with my netbook, but once the menu opens I am unable to successfully click on any of the buttons that allow you to redownload drivers and utilities.

I am using an ASUS Eee PC 1005HAB with Windows XP, Service Pack 3.

Thank you very much for reading through this, and I would appreciate any help I can get!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I believe you still have some remnants of infection left. Please go to this forum and start a new topic there, with the same information. I would direct you to the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, but it sounds like you wouldn't be able to run any of the programs there. When you start your new topic, make sure you make it clear you can't run anything; one of our malware staff will help you resolve any further malware issues you may still have. We can't deal with malware in this forum, which is why I'm directing you to the malware forum.

Sanjikuu

Sanjikuu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the advice! I didn't even think about the virus still being there... I'll see what the other board gives me.