Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good Morning, it's me again!
I'm a little riled up because I have a 500gb book drive that died. It is full of wonderful pictures, etc. WD will gladly send me a new drive because I have a warranty but won't send my old drive back so I can try to find someone to get my stuff off cheap. Their so called "partners" that give you a "discount" to get my data off (but are authorized by WD) want $600-$800 to do it!!!! It would take me a year to save that!
Anyway, my question is, what can I do? Is there something I can do to try to get my data off? I know it will void my warranty but the warranty is kind of lousy anyway.
Your opinions are always honored.
Thanks, Dianne

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the drive is mechanically dead the only option you have is the professional data recovery option. Yes it costs an arm and a leg but the drive has to be dismantled in a sterile environment. You take it apart in the bedroom and it will be toast as soon as you unseal it, never mind take the bottom off.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I assume its already in a enclosure.
Can you remove it and slave it to another computer? It might be the enclosure is a problem.

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Guys,
Thank you so much for your help. You are never going to guess what happened. I had another drive hooked up to my computer so just for yucks I took the plug out of that one and put it in the dead one. Wahla.... The dead one woke up! All this time it must have been the electrical plug!! So Dumb am I!!!
Now, Here's a harder question for you seeing as though you got a reprieve on the first question.
I have two older internal hard drives that I would love to hook up and see what's on it. I have one of those cases to put it into and the on light goes on but I can't see the disk. Do I remember something about jumpers (wow, that brings back another life!!)?
One disk is a Seagate Barracuda 30 gb (remember when that was HUGE??)If I look at it from the back end forward, the jumper is set to the 2nd on in out of four. {}{X}{}{}.
The other is a TriGem 6.4 gb with the jumper set at the same place. This one gives me a little chart. 4 jumper settings - MA (master), SL (slave), CS (cable setting) and blank.
For MA it's jumper 1, for SL it's jumper 2 and for CS it's jumper 3.
Any ideas?
Thank you so much!!
Dianne

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I never suspected a power plug based on your description. Great job though.

In the older computers you usually have to set them to master and slave.
Newer computers and drives with 80 core cable will usually take a cable select.
And then there are those that you have to try all combinations.

I would try master and slave 1st.
For the Seagate there is a model number on the tag. A google search with the model number, or going to Seagate will give you the jumpers.
Not all jumpers are the same on all drives.

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks! I'm going move those jumpers around and see if I can get anything going. If (when) I learn how they're supposed to be set I'll post it in case someone needs it later.