Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing and making Beeping sound

• Please log in to reply

saf99

saf99

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello people...

The problem is that Recently my computer has been freezing for a reason i do not understand, when I am on the desktop or the internet - especially when I am watching streaming videos or on youtube it will just completely freeze and a beeping sound can sometimes be heard (coming from the speakers).

I had posted this topic in the virus,removal and trojan removal forum believing it to be a malware or virus however the malware staff in that forum had told me to carry out various scans but no infections were found and they said that it could be a hardware problem to do with my videocard and drivers. Because my computer seems to freeze when I watch videos and videos on stream or even when playing games, it seems to happen when anything with moving images is being watched or played.

Therefore i will be greatful if you could help me to find the root of this problem and hopefully fix it. So what is the first step do I have to update my videocard and drivers?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It seems that your video card/integrated video card or your RAM is experiencing problems. Before i suggest anything, can you describe the beep code you are experiencing? For example, 1 long and 2 short, or constant long beep, or 3 short beeps repeating, etc. This can help me.

1. Can you also provide the make and model of your computer? i.e. Dell Optiplex GX280, or Gateway E2300.
2. Can I have a link to the malware topic please?
3. Do you have a spare video card to try?

Answer those questions, and get back to me. Thanks! :)

saf99

saf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello,

I found out that the beepin actually comes from the speakers when they are turned on and when I am watching a video when it freezes. As for my computer make and model it is :

System (optional): Manufacturer: Intel
Rating: 3.2 Windows Index
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400@ 2.13gGHz 2.14 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 2.00 GB (1.75GB Usable)
System Type : 32-bit Operating System (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Operating System: Windows 7

The link for the malware topic is:

http://www.geekstogo...nd-t271033.html

And I don't have a spare vide card to try .... thanks

saf99

saf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello are you still helping out on this topic?, haven't heard from you for some time.......

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes, I must have missed the notification or it wasn't sent. I apologize for the delay.

Without a spare video card it's hard to rule that out as the culprit. If you can get a cheap one, or a free one (anything will do) that would help. In the mean time, lets try testing your RAM and Hard Drive.

How to test your hard drive:
  • Go HERE
  • In part 2, click the link for your brand of
    hard drive, (i.e. Western Digital, Seagate, etc.)
  • Depending on the brand, you will create bootable floppy disk, or bootable CD.
  • If the download is an .iso file type, I recommend
    using BurnCDCC to burn the .iso file to a CD.
  • Once BurnCDCC is installed, open the program, browse to
    the .iso file, and open it to the program.
  • Click start/burn, you will be prompted to insert your CD, Click OK.
  • Once burned, set the BIOS boot priority to CD ROM first, Hard Drive second
  • Insert CD, and save and exit the BIOS usually by pressing F10
  • Follow onscreen instructions to perform an Extended Test
Please Note: Toshiba does not offer a hard drive diagnostic utility, you are out of luck.

Testing RAM... Take all of the RAM out leaving only 1 stick in the first DIMM. Does the problem continue? If so, take that stick out and replace it with a second stick... same problem? The idea is that two sticks of RAM going bad at the same time is very rare. If this produces no results, try testing your RAM with Memtest86+. Tutorial HERE.

Let's look at the Event Viewer too:
  • Download VEW
  • Save it to your Desktop
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under "Select log to query", select System
  • Under "Select type to list", select Critical(not in XP) and Error
  • Tick the box for "Number of events" and enter 5
  • Click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Copy and paste that log into the next reply.
    ------------------------------------------
  • Repeat again
  • Click the box for "Date of events"
  • In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) XX/XX/XXXX
  • In the To: boxes type a date 10 days ago (presuming the crash happened today) XX/XX/XXXX
  • Click the Run button.
  • Notepad will open with the output log.
  • Copy and paste that log into your next reply.
Let me know how it goes. :)

saf99

saf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi again, I don't think I even have a video card inserted in my computer, is it the same as a graphics card? is there any way to check whether I have one?. Also the model of my hard drive is ExcelStor Technology J8160s ATA Device, I tried searching google for the manufacturer and I think it is Excelstor Technology (not too sure)and the first link you gave me there isn't a website to check the hard drive for the Excelstor technology manufacturer.

Thanks.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

is it the same as a graphics card?

Yes, a video card and a graphics card are the same thing. Many computer come with "integrated graphics" mean it is a onboard graphics processor fitted to the motherboard. Some come with dedicated graphics cards that fit into a slot on the motherboard.

What I think is the problem and what would fix it is installing a dedicated graphics card and ditch using the onboard graphics. Since you don't have a card to try, that obviously won't work. Used computer stores may sell them cheap for just a few dollars, you don't need anything special.

Otherwise, just perform the requested actions I mentioned in my last post.

As for your model hard drive, try the seagate utility, it will usually work well with off brand drives.

saf99

saf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello again, I downloaded the seagate seatools for windows and carried out all the basic tests and they all came out as passes apart from my external harddrive where the long generic failed on it.

However I did not carry out the advanced tests as there is a risk that the whole harddrive could be erased or unusable if a mistake is made. Do I still have to carry out the advanced trests or does this conclude that my harddrive is not the problem?

I will be testing my RAM using your method soon.....

thanks. look foward to hearing from you

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Keep me updated. I suspect a bad video card, but at least we can rule some things out.

And yes, your hard drive seems fine then.

saf99

saf99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey I only have RAM in my computer , I do have a spare but it doesn't work (gives me a blue screen with info). So I took the RAM I had in my computer blew on it to remove dust and stuck it in another slot not sure if that has helped as of yet.....

what now?

CoyleTrydan

CoyleTrydan

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Just thought I'd throw this out there, I was experiencing what sounds like the same problem with my new system build a few months ago. (Generally locked up after a random amount of time streaming video on Hulu, with an awful continuous beep-like sound in the speakers.) I spent a bunch of time messing with trying different video cards and video card drivers, but always had the same issue. Through a lot of trial and error, I eventually found that the issue was my RAM, and specifically that it wasn't getting enough voltage. I checked the RAM manufacturer's recommended voltage setting, and raised it in BIOS to that level, and the system has been rock solid since. (Note: If I recall correctly, I was still passing MemTest with the voltage settings set too low.) I'm not recommending you necessarily raise the voltage to your RAM, but maybe check the recommended voltage.

Anyway, that may not be your problem at all, especially if you bought a system built by a major manufacturer, but since I was having the same symptoms, and it took me a long time to figure out the solution, I thought I'd let you know. :)

Good luck!

Edited by CoyleTrydan, 08 April 2010 - 02:35 PM.

java_king

java_king

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I also have this problem where my pc freezes
and then makes this continuous sound
not beeping just this annoying loud electrical sound
like something is jammed
and it comes through the speakers.

The crashes appearance is very random
sometimes it doesn't happen for a long time
and other times it happens rapidly and then stops again.

when it happens I have to manually shut down my pc
and then reboot it, it takes no commands what so ever.

so far I have only experienced the crashes in
bad company 2, battlefield 3 and league of legends
and not any other game.

Anyhow a few times I experienced the crash
and the game just shut down and
I was back at the desktop without crashing.

Other few times it freezes but the sound continues
to play for a short while before either stopping
or doing the annoying sound again.

my system information:
Acer Aspire M7720 Windows 7 64 bit home edition
Mainboard: FX85M, AMI, R01-A3 BIOS
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz 2.67 GHz
Memory: 8GB DDR3 ram
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1gb GDDR3 (up to date)

I really hope that there is someone out there
who can help me out because no one I have
spoken to about this have been able to
recognize the problem or help out
for that sake.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: java_king

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Please post more information as to your exact issue in your topic. Include any error messages you get as well as your system specs. This will help us to assist you more efficiently.
Thank you for your cooperation.

gurminder

gurminder

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
i am also having the same problem only when playing game it make beep soung and freezes and starts after 30-40 seconds.... :(