Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need advice on video card

• Please log in to reply

FayB

FayB

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am looking at computers. One of the ones I am looking at has the following as standard for the video card:
1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650

For $20.00 more I can select:
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

The next available choice is $80.00 more than the standard one. I don't want to pay that much. I am not a gamer and don't need a high end card.

I really don't know anything about video cards. How much difference is there in the Radeon and the NVIDIA cards I listed above? I am willing to pay the $20.00 if it is worth it, but I don't want to assume that just because it is more that it is better.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Tom's Hardware: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart
http://www.tomshardw...ard,2569-6.html

FayB

FayB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, it looks like the NVIDIA is rated very slightly better than the Radeon. Not sure how much difference that really means.

Thanks,

Fay

Lister192065

Lister192065

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
If you're not a gamer or someone that uses thier pc for either video or photo editting then the graphics card really doesn't make much difference.

Out of the 2, the nVidia is the most recent.

For your basic everyday computing, the AMD card should be plenty.

FayB

FayB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am not a gamer and probably never will be, but I plan on having the compuer a long time and not sure what else I might end up using it for.

Probably a dump question but what is AMD?

Fay

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

I am not a gamer and probably never will be, but I plan on having the compuer a long time and not sure what else I might end up using it for.

Probably a dump question but what is AMD?

Fay

AMD is processor manufacture like Intel and AMD owns ATI(or another way around). In my opinion, it's better to go for ATI Radeon 4650 because you're not a gamer. For everyday use and watching movies, ATI Radeon 4650 could deliver you excellent experience =)

FayB

FayB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I may just save the $20.00 and go with the the Radeon that is the default.

computersecurityprotection

computersecurityprotection

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I am looking at computers. One of the ones I am looking at has the following as standard for the video card:
1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650

For $20.00 more I can select:
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

The next available choice is $80.00 more than the standard one. I don't want to pay that much. I am not a gamer and don't need a high end card.

I really don't know anything about video cards. How much difference is there in the Radeon and the NVIDIA cards I listed above? I am willing to pay the $20.00 if it is worth it, but I don't want to assume that just because it is more that it is better.

See the difference here is about the brands. Geforce will cost you more because it is more famous. Moreover you can buy any infamous brands like palit, evga it will cost you less. But the capabilities will be the same because the chipset manufacturer will be the same i.e. Nvidia.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Ok, it looks like the NVIDIA is rated very slightly better than the Radeon. Not sure how much difference that really means.

Tom's Hardware: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart
http://www.tomshardw...ard,2569-6.html

I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel and you may not notice a worthwhile difference in performance.

FayB

FayB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'll just stick with the RADEON and put the $20.00 toward a parallel to USB cable I am going to need.

Thanks,
Fay

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
You're welcome. :)