Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows xp wont load properly after ram upgrade

• Please log in to reply

JPalma

JPalma

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just recently tried to upgrade my computer from 512 mb to 2.5 Gbs. My PC uses DDR400 ram. My computer has 4 memory slots. I ordered 2x1gb G.skill ram sticks that are compatible with my computer and later unplugged everything connected to pc and unplugged the power cord, i then installed the new ram sticks into the memory slots next to my old ram sticks,. i booted up the computer, everything seemed fine, the screen with the Windows xp logo came on and the bar was moving in the bottom just like normal. but then the screen freezes and then goes dark. Then the pc just shuts down and reboots itself. It then takes me to a screen that basically says windows did not start properly due to a recent hardware/software change. It gave me the options to start in safe mode, safe mode without networking, start normally, etc. I chose "start normally" and yet it continues to due the same thing.Thinking that the new ram sticks may be bad i took them out and left the old ones. But still the same problem continues.

Frustrated i go into bios and go into the hardware configuration where it shows basic info about the computer, there the computer detects the new ram sticks and lists the speed and even what slots there are in. The only thing that the hardware info did not list was the hard disk-i think maybe windows xp was saved in there and when i installed the new ram something must of went wrong and somehow hard disk cannot be read now. that may be why it wont load properly- i don't know..

So it may not be the new ram sticks since the computer detected them - but hey i am no expert. Can someone please help me with any ideas of what to do. Im thinking about having to re-install windows... would that be a good solution to this kind of problem? Please anyone i desperately need guidance!!!

Edited by JPalma, 24 March 2010 - 07:43 PM.

Advertisements

computersecurityprotection

computersecurityprotection

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I just recently tried to upgrade my computer from 512 mb to 2.5 Gbs. My PC uses DDR400 ram. My computer has 4 memory slots. I ordered 2x1gb G.skill ram sticks that are compatible with my computer and later unplugged everything connected to pc and unplugged the power cord, i then installed the new ram sticks into the memory slots next to my old ram sticks,. i booted up the computer, everything seemed fine, the screen with the Windows xp logo came on and the bar was moving in the bottom just like normal. but then the screen freezes and then goes dark. Then the pc just shuts down and reboots itself. It then takes me to a screen that basically says windows did not start properly due to a recent hardware/software change. It gave me the options to start in safe mode, safe mode without networking, start normally, etc. I chose "start normally" and yet it continues to due the same thing.Thinking that the new ram sticks may be bad i took them out and left the old ones. But still the same problem continues.

Frustrated i go into bios and go into the hardware configuration where it shows basic info about the computer, there the computer detects the new ram sticks and lists the speed and even what slots there are in. The only thing that the hardware info did not list was the hard disk-i think maybe windows xp was saved in there and when i installed the new ram something must of went wrong and somehow hard disk cannot be read now. that may be why it wont load properly- i don't know..

So it may not be the new ram sticks since the computer detected them - but hey i am no expert. Can someone please help me with any ideas of what to do. Im thinking about having to re-install windows... would that be a good solution to this kind of problem? Please anyone i desperately need guidance!!!

Look dont use ram of different memory. Like if you have said you have four slots so use same memory on four slots. Like if you are using 512 so use it in all the slots. if you are using 1GB then use it in all slots. Because sometimes using different memory can lead to system instability

Edited by Murray S., 25 March 2010 - 10:47 PM.
Removed link

JPalma

JPalma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, the other two memory sticks are 256 mb, so your are saying I should pertain to the 2x256 mb sticks or the 2 Gb sticks correct? Oh one other I forgot to mention, if I leave the new ram alone ( the 2x1gb sticks it's self) the computer boots but nothing will show up on the screen.But if I leave the old ram itself it will get the windows logo loading screen then have problem mentioned above. Is there a way you can guide me to find a solution?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
To computersecurityprotection
It is not necessary to quote the entire post. It makes it very difficult to read.

To JPalma

Generally you can mix and max sizes of ram with other sizes. Say a 256 with a 1gb would generally not matter. Where it starts to become a problem is when the are different speeds and manufacturers. Usually with the ram speed the computer will default to the slower speed.

If I understand correctly, the original ram is in position and the computer will not boot.
Have you placed the ram in the original slots? Depending on the board (I don't know what you have. That's next), you can only place the ram in specific slots. And some ram is not on a compatibility list.

What is the make and model of the computer?
Is it a Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, home built?
If Dell can you supply the service tag (usually bottom or back).

123runner

JPalma

JPalma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for responding in a good manner 123runner.

Yes, i have placed the ram in original slots and continue to have the same issue. I am using an eMachines Desktop.Since i cant boot my PC, i cant give you the exact specifications of my motherboard on the computer but i googled the model that i have and can only find the bus speed. Any-who, here is a list of specifications of my pc that will hopefully be useful to you.

eMachines Desktop
Model: T5026

Proccessor:
processor Type Intel Pentium 4
Processor Speed 3.06 GHz
Chipset Intel915GV

Motherboard:
Bus Speed 533 MHz

Memory:
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Installed RAM 512 MB (2 x 256mb DDR400)
Max Supported RAM 4 GB
Supported RAM Speeds 333 MHz - (this is what confuses me, it came with DDR 400 memory when i purchased it and it ran fine)
Installed Cache Memory 1 MB

Edited by JPalma, 27 March 2010 - 07:55 PM.

letscuak

letscuak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, did you already solve this problem? you can try "load default settings" in BIOS and see how that goes.