Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

input on first build attempt

• Please log in to reply

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Work has asked me if i could build a computer for them. The budget for this is 400-500 bucks and that is to include everything but the OS. I found this bundle on newegg: http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.359881
I know it is all bundled together but i just wanted to double check with you guys that everything is compatible. I figure if i can get all this for about 330 then i can get a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and stay under or at that 500 magic number. thanks guys.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
All compatible.

I'm rather impressed with it, that's a very nice bundle for a budget build. The only thing that I could really say negative about it is that generally power supplies that come with cases aren't that great, but according to the picture, it totals a 27 amps on the +12v rail which isn't the worst I've ever seen. I'd say for a budget build, your work would be very happy with this build.

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks ferrari, no offense to anyone else on here but i am glad you were the one to reply. Reading your posts you really seem to know your stuff. My next question is this, Will all the cables and screws and junk like that come with this stuff?

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I would like to learn more about the hardware and how to tell if stuff is compatible. Do you have any suggestions ferrari on how i can do this so in future builds i can know what to look for.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Reading your posts you really seem to know your stuff

Thank you very much, that was very kind. I've worked pretty hard and tirelessly to know what I know, but as always, there is still room for improvement. :)

Yes, according to Neweggs pictures (they always show the last picture what is included with the product) the motherboard comes with 2 SATA cables, an IDE cable, Disc with Drivers and Utilities, and an I/O shield to match the motherboards In/Out ports on the back of the case. Also, the case pictures shows a package of screws which should include everything you would need. The cpu comes with a stock heatsink and fan.

I would like to learn more about the hardware and how to tell if stuff is compatible. Do you have any suggestions ferrari on how i can do this so in future builds i can know what to look for.

Yes, as a matter of fact a couple months ago I wrote a guide called Building a new computer: Are my parts compatible? that is currently pending approval here at Geekstogo. That provides great information.

Also, my friends Google and Youtube are worth a look at. Ask them anything and they will give you the answer. :) Tomshardware.com provides excellent reviews, benchmarks, and information on what is good and what is not.

Let me know if you have more questions. Cheers!

lcbjr1979

lcbjr1979

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Again thanks, i am not sure when the build will start but i will definately keep you posted and let you know how it goes. If your looking for an apprentice one day i would be glad to learn from you.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

but i will definitely keep you posted and let you know how it goes

Sounds great. Just so you know, I think after 14 days (or some amount of time) I'm automatically unsubscribed from the topic, so just send me a Personal Message from within Geekstogo's messaging system to let me know if you have made a reply. Or you can start a new topic and do the same. LINK REQUIRED, don't make me or anyone go hunt for your topic. :)

FYI: PMing me politely and asking if I can look at your topic is more of my own rule. Some techs do not respond to PM's at all, just something worth noting. Also, no support is allowed to take place in PM's, all help should be done in the forums so others may learn. If I never reply, it's because I do have a life, girlfriend, and a job, so please understand.

If your looking for an apprentice one day i would be glad to learn from you.

I love to teach. Stick around and get to know some of the other staff and enjoy the forums. It is a very nice community around here. You'll learn a ton, I know I have. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 24 March 2010 - 10:28 PM.