Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

does it hurt the computer to shut down at power switch

• Please log in to reply

luvpats

luvpats

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I had something really weird happen this evening. When I booted my computer completely booted to a black screen and I had to turn the power off at the computer switch instead of shutting down windows normally with the start button and shut down normally. There were no icons, nothing but a black screen. Not even a cursor.

I booted again and was able to boot to safe mode-but alas-again-no icons-nothing on the desktop-no cursor-just a black screen with "safe mode" in white letters-nothing else-and I could not shut down normally so I had to power off at the computer switch.

Third time was able to boot to "last good configuration"-and then rebooted-even though I have system restore off-and the computer booted normally like nothing was wrong. Now everything runs fine.

Now my questions:

Has my computer been damaged being I had to turn off the power at the computer switch twice instead of shutting Windows down normally? Will this hurt the hardware/software?

I ran chkdsk with no problems found at all. My computer is running fine again.

Should I be concerned?

Please advise. Thank you!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If the Operating System won't let you use the proper shutdown sequence, there is no other option but to simply turn it off. However, if at all possible, wait for it to completely stop accessing the hard drive, (usually indicated by a flashing hard drive LED). Turning it off while the hard drive is in the middle of writing something to disk can corrupt the file system.

luvpats

luvpats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I waited until I turned the computer back on. My question is does shutting down the computer at the power switch if you can't shut it down normally-does that hurt the system at all-does it hurt the software or the hardware?

My computer is running fine now. I ran chkdsk and there were no errors.

I was concerned when I could not shut down normally.

But now everything seems to be running fine.

Please advise. There does not seem to be any problems at this time.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Check the System Log and see if anything odd appears, especially multiple instances of the same Event ID.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

My question is does shutting down the computer at the power switch if you can't shut it down normally-does that hurt the system at all-does it hurt the software or the hardware?

Turning it off while the hard drive is in the middle of writing something to disk can corrupt the file system.

My computer is running fine now. I ran chkdsk and there were no errors.

You should be good to go then.