Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Vista Operating Systems Listed on Startup - Neither Works!

• Please log in to reply

help!!!!

help!!!!

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've made a real mess of my computer, and I am afraid I have rendered it unuseable.

My original Vista OS was infected and could not be booted normally. I would get the following blue screen error whenever i would boot:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The NT Initial Command Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000001 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I looked around on several forums for a fix, but all solutions I was able to find pertaining to this error message invloved choosing "Repair Your Computer" from the Advanced Boot Options in F8. However, I was unable to take this approach because when I chose this option I ended up with the exact same blue screen error.

I was able to boot my computer in Safe Mode though.

Since I was not able to repair my computer from the Advanced Boot Options, I inserted the Vista Operating System DVD that I recieved when purchasing my laptop. I chose F12 on startup and booted the computer using the Vista DVD. When prompted, I chose to install Windows Vista again (thinking it would overwrite my currently infected operating system).
I chose "Disk 0 Partition 3 OS" to install windows.
It seemed like everything was going fine with the reinstallation until my computer got as far as "Completing Installation" where it hung for hours and hours.

After realizing that the installation was not going to complete, I rebooted the computer.....which brings me to my current predicament. Now upon rebooting, I am asked to choose between "Windows Vista" and "Microsoft Windows Vista". When I choose Windows Vista (the original, i believe) I am not even able to boot up in safe mode anymore...I just continually get the blue screen error. When I choose Microsoft Windows Vista (the new), I am taken to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen, where absolutely nothing works for me.

My question is, is it at all possible for me to fix this???
Is there any way I can undo the incomplete reinstallation and get back to the OS i could atleast use in safe mode?
Or, is there any way to flatten both so that I can atleast reset factory defaults?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by help!!!!, 25 March 2010 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements