Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restarts randomly

• Please log in to reply

kweaver

kweaver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer has been very slow lately and has been restarting at random times causing me to lose information. I have AVG 9.0 which has not detected any viruses, but I'm not so certain there's not something there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Edited by Essexboy, 25 March 2010 - 02:30 PM.
No HJT logs outside malware forum please

Advertisements

Kansas Tech

Kansas Tech

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sounds like you do have something running. There is a "reboot" virus out there. I have run into it several times. I have been able to remove it with SuperAntiSpyware. You will have to get it copied to your PC and installed before it reboots. I know, it will not be easy or fun.

Go to download.com and search for it. Download it to a flash drive or CD.
Boot the PC into Safe Mode. (keep tapping F8 at boot to get the menu)
Copy the file to your desktop.
Restart the PC and let it come up into regular mode. SuperAntiSpyware will not install in Safe Mode.

As soon as you see the file on your desktop, double click it and get it going. Click next all the way through the setup.

WHEN you get it installed, you need to restart your machine in Safe Mode with Networking. With networking allows you access to the internet.

Run the program. Be sure to CHECK FOR UPDATES when you bring it up.
Then perform a full scan.

Another program I usually run after it is Malwarebytes. This program will install in Safe Mode. So while running SuperAntiSpyware, go to DOWNLOAD.COM again and search for it. Download it and install it. Just like before, before scanning, be sure to UPDATE it first.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would like to make something known here before this goes any further. Malware advice is not to be given outside the Malware forum and then even only by Malware techs. If you believe you may have a active infection then I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here