Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build up of massive sqlite file in Windows Temp folder

• Please log in to reply

GEF1

GEF1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 5000 with XP and 1GB memory. I am having trouble with a large sqlite file building up in the Windows Temp folder (3 or 4 GB per hour). I can't delete the file until I have rebooted the PC as the file is 'in use'. All other sqlite files clear down to their normal size of 0 or 1 KB. I thought that the problem was related to McAfee, but it still occurred after I uninstalled their software.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Disable system restore, reboot the PC then reenable it if you really want to. If the file persists, use Unlocker 1.8.9.
http://ccollomb.free...ocker/#download

GEF1

GEF1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I tried disabling System Restore with no success. When I tried to go to the ccollomb web site for unlocker, I get a Microsoft warning not to enter the site because it was suspect.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
http://download.cnet...4-10493998.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for info on SQLite's Use Of Temporary Disk Files...This article describes the various temporary files that SQLite creates and uses. It describes when the files are created, when they are deleted, what they are used for, why they are important, and how to avoid them on systems where creating temporary files is expensive.

GEF1

GEF1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help guys. I think that I am probably faced with a having to do a complete system reinstallation. I assume that unlocker will simply enable me to delete the sqlite file without rebooting, but presumably a new sqlite file will immediately be created as something is clearly going wrong with the journalling of a particular set of database transactions. Any ideas on how I can find out which process is causing the problem?