Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Versatile "Mule" Power supply

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Actually, no. But I do want OPs to have the correct and complete facts and answers to their questions, and the necessary information to make informed decisions.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yes sir.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I can chime in a second guys.
The original topic was about a good all around PSU to Bench Test with.
Wouldn't it be safe to say that a 750 watt brand name PSU 80 plus certified with a verified good stable 12 volt rail or rails be what the OP would need?
Wouldn't this give all the connections needed as far as MOBO, HD's, Optical and cards?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Wouldn't it be safe to say that a 750 watt brand name PSU 80 plus certified with a verified good stable 12 volt rail or rails be what the OP would need?

Wouldn't this give all the connections needed as far as MOBO, HD's, Optical and cards?

Shoooooot, you only need a 200 watt PSU for that. :) :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Or maybe this will do: Ultra 2000 Watt PSU :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
A good, recent model 750W will support most systems, for sure. But there are some monsters out there that need more. As far as connectors, not sure that's a certainty - but if a name brand unit, I would hope so. I can see where splitters for SATA drive power might be needed.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I'm sorry guys I would have loved to jump in. I apparently have email notifications turned off :-(. Hold on for a thoughtful response.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

No disrespect or offense meant here, Matthew but I think if you are going to open a consultation/repair business, you need to learn how to research parts yourself! Especially when it comes to such a critical component as power supplies. Google needs to be a integral part of your life and tool kit. I might suggest working for someone in the business for a while to learn the ropes, or hitting up your local community college for courses on PC repair and running your own business. There are PC repair types everyone - you need to stand out as the one to go to for answer, not as the one who does not know.

As to Ferrari's suggestions, I agree that a good tester (one that displays the voltage as opposed to just an LED) is handy to have on hand and I keep one in my tool bag when I am "in the field". But using one of these testers is NOT conclusive as they do not test the supply under a true load, nor do they test for anomalies in the voltages, such as excessive ripple.

I appreciate your thoughtful response. I take no offense. I am quite capable of finding information. Feedback and assurance on such information is quite a bit more rare.

I also mean no offense, but would suggest assuming the person you are talking to knows as much as you about a given topic minus their inquiry. That is not to say you should use as much technical jargon as possible. Merely explain your rationale behind your answer as if the inquirer is completely on your level. Then if confusion results it is fair to assume said inquirer does indeed need such information. Furthermore, I would like to add my necessity for addressing this exchange at all. You opened with "I don't mean to offend..." This implies you, at the very least, could perceive something you were saying as offensive. Instead of shoving that at the beginning to "bulletproof" your criticism, you should construct them in such a way as not to offend. ...some inquiries on your part perhaps? Of course, I am also overlooking the sheer number of inquiries you might see on a given day. In that case it is more efficient to assume ignorance. I sense purely good intentions regardless of everything I just said. I apologize for my hyper-analytical nature. I believe there is something to be gained from every human interaction.

Moreover, I am only planning on running this business temporarily and then hiring someone else to take the reigns. This is not to say I am inexperienced. Serial entrepreneurship ftw :-P. I think you would find it interesting to know I started on this business after I was so dissatisfied by the way I was treated at a local shop.

My logic for asking this question on the board was as follows.

-I wanted to ask people with experience.
-I trust this board's community.
-The democratic nature of reaching a consensus.

I am sorry about the TOU infraction I overlooked. I assure you I won't ask anymore questions of this nature!

Haha, I assure you google is a very integral part of my life let-alone my repair repertoire. Regarding the PSU tester, I actually have an Antec one that does display the voltage of given leads.

I enjoyed your exchange about high end vs. average consumer level testing. I am bootstrapping and primarily dealing with older computers at the moment. I was more interested in connection versatility, reliability, and raw power output that could handle nearly any PC mass produced in the last 10 years.

Much love,

Matthew Jacobus

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Merely explain your rationale behind your answer as if the inquirer is completely on your level.

Note this is a forum, a place for "open discussion" for all to come, exchange ideas and learn. It is not a one-on-one consult, with information that expires when the conversation ends. Therefore, I try to write so all readers, current and future, of all skill levels can follow.

You opened with "I don't mean to offend..." This implies you, at the very least, could perceive something you were saying as offensive

It could imply that to some, but I said it because those of us who "work" these forums regularly know that many people cannot accept any sort of criticism, whether professional, technical or personal, and end up taking all as personal offenses. :)

-I wanted to ask people with experience.
-I trust this board's community.
-The democratic nature of reaching a consensus.

I understand that, and appreciate that. This site is one of those sites and is the reason I stayed on here after I found it - it is a place to learn. But it is a free site for folks trying to maintain and secure their own, personal computers and networks. It is not a place where IT consultants and repair people come for free help that they then charge their clients for.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Note this is a forum, a place for "open discussion" for all to come, exchange ideas and learn. It is not a one-on-one consult, with information that expires when the conversation ends. Therefore, I try to write so all readers, current and future, of all skill levels can follow.

This makes sense. Perhaps open with something along those lines? If your intentions are clear it should not offend.

It could imply that to some, but I said it because those of us who "work" these forums regularly know that many people cannot accept any sort of criticism, whether professional, technical or personal, and end up taking all as personal offenses.

I empathize with you on this one. Some people are just waiting for a reason to cry personal attack.

...it is a free site for folks trying to maintain and secure their own, personal computers and networks. It is not a place where IT consultants and repair people come for free help that they then charge their clients for.

I understand.

I am sorry about the TOU infraction I overlooked. I assure you I won't ask anymore questions of this nature!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Some people are just waiting for a reason to cry personal attack.

Some people don't even wait for a reason! :)

Thanks for your understanding and good luck in your business.

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Thank you! Perhaps we will cross paths again soon.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Small world.