Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebuilding a 4 year old build

• Please log in to reply

imadummy99

imadummy99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey
Lost the MB on my gamer. Lookin' to upgrade the cpu, mb, and ram.
Considering:
BIOSTAR TA770A2+SE AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard ($65)-tryin' to save a few coins :)
AMD Phenom X4 9750 Agena 2.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - OEM($92)
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C7 ($114)
Concerned about compatibility issues with my:
Antac 550w sli PS,
EVGA 7900 GT KO vid card
also had an issue with Windows XP Pro SP3 with my old Asus MB.
Anyone know if the is any issues with the Biostar boards?

Any advice would be most apriciated
Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

I've never used a Biostar motherboard myself, perhaps do a quick search for some reviews on that model?

For the CPU, it is listed as OEM - make sure it has a heatsink/fan as oftentimes the OEM version doesn't come with it. If it doesn't you'll need to add another one.

Compatibility is always something you need to carefully research. For the PSU, I personally would replace it anyway, 4 years is a good effort however if it's still going strong then it may be fine for a while yet. Just check that it has the connectors the motherboard needs - like 24-pin or 20-pin connection. Also make sure that the RAM is the exact type and speed listed as supported by Biostar. Finally, check the graphics card connection - likely PCI-Express - and then confirm the motherboard has a PCI-Express slot that you know will be free.

Cheers