Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TOTAL RECALL

• Please log in to reply

gunn1

gunn1

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thought I would start a new thread in regards to the quest for total mobility.
I did find a Inverter (1500 watt modified sine w/remote on & off) which with the use of 4AWG copper wire from battery to inverter I was able to fab a fittment under the drivers seat.

Also purchased a 6 outlet surge protected power strip, 16 foot monster VGA cable (gold ends)for the remote monitor. The Inverter is in and looks factory.(will post pics) All the USB's are strung for the printer, keyboard, portable storage drive.
I do still have a couple of questions. The monitor I keep on coming back to has these following specs: MODEL;PLVW10IW Product Dimensions: 10.1 x 3.4 x 12.8 inches ; 3.3 pounds
Technical Details
10.4-inch TFT LCD screen wall mount
PAL/NTSC auto color system
4:3 screen aspect ratio
640 x 480 high resolution
300:1 contrast ratio
Does any one have input on whether this monitor will fill the bill(be simular to a laptop view)

The Lappy I have has Two USB ports, One VGA port and a ethernet port. The VGA will be used for the Monitor, One USB will be dedicated to the remote keyboard and the remaining Port will have to serve the printer, storage device and possibly an air card. Will a powered USB hub be adequate for this application? Or is the ethernet port useable/adaptable as a USB port?
Thanks again in advance.
Gunn

Advertisements

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
1500_W_inverter_top_view.JPG Here are a few Pictures of the inverter install.
The smaller of the two is the old 750 watt(fried itself), The large red one would be the new 1500 watter.

The plug in one of the three recepticals goes to the power strip. The cable which looks like a phone cable is the remote control which routed to the dash where the switch resides. I will post more photos as things develope, until then please offer up any info you have on the monitior or USB multi port Question of the last post.
Thank you,
Gunn

Attached Thumbnails

• 1500___750_W_inverters_side_by_side.JPG
  • 1500_W_front_view.JPG
  • 1500_W_rear_view.JPG

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Here are a few more Pictures of the Truck install.

The fittment of the HP on its shelf, The Acer in its rear carriage/carrier. And the way the cables are run out of the Laptop. About the only major item that is needed at this point is the remote monitor, which I will be ordering soon.
However, I am still wondering about the Monitor(whether it will be adequate/simular to my view while on the Laptop)Specs are as follows; 10.1 x 3.4 x 12.8 inches ; 3.3 pounds
Technical Details
10.4-inch TFT LCD screen wall mount
PAL/NTSC auto color system
4:3 screen aspect ratio
300:1 contrast ratio
In closing, I have some questions to ask- Did I do/say something wrong?? Did I offend someone?? Maybe everyone is out getting all their pre exsisting conditions covered since the Bill signing. In the beginning there where so many helpful suggestions but lately there have been none. Sure, some of my questions could be answered by research on the net or the local electronics store. But then why would there be GeeksToGo??
Thanks again (I think)
Gunnar

Attached Thumbnails

• copier_on_stand_left_side.JPG
  • copier_on_stand_right_side.JPG
  • acer_in_carriage_full_view.JPG
  • acer_in_carriage_showing_cable_routes.JPG
  • acer_in_carriage_from_right.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
WOW THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!

(Yep that was all caps on purpose)

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks Troy,

Any advise on the Monitor issue, or how I should approach the USB port dilema ??

Gunnar

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey sorry mate, I was too busy enjoying the pictures to read the fine print. :)

In my opinion this resolution is too low, things are going to look too large on the screen and you won't be able to fit hardly anything in. If you want to test, manually adjust your current monitor to the 640 x 480 resolution now and see the difference for yourself!

For the USB ports, a powered hub will do the trick perfectly. In my opinion get a decent brand one, not just some no-name cheapie.

And, er, I don't think you've offended anyone? Although it could just be a little tricky with the number of threads made for this, makes it hard for someone to follow along.

Troy

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Troy,

Gotcha with the thread thing, and thanks for the info about the monitior. Although it is going to be on my doorstep tomorrow (coundn't wait any longer!!) In the future I will try to keep a consistent thread.

Thanks again,

Gunnar

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yep back again,

After checking out the resolution thing on my current monitor, Troy you are correct.

But when I VGA it to any of the numerous LCD TVs (big and small) in the house the laptop goes through a auto adjust sequence and after that everything fits on/in the screen perfectly!!

I guess the proof will be in the putting when the monitor arrives tomorrow!!

Keep your fingers crossed, Thanks.

Gunnar

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Fingers crossed it works out for you.

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks for pulling for me Troy.

In the event the laptop does not self adjust, Is there any way the full page can be made to fit on the smaller screen?

It seems to me this would be possible maybe in the personalzation part of the control panel?

With the size of the remote monitor(11.41w X 7.48h)how could a monitor of this size have any greater resolution?

My old Motion tablet was much smaller(screen size)and everthing fit on the screen just fine.

Just as you say a few "random thoughts"

Thanks again,
Gunnar

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Most programs have a zoom function, Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer/Firefox, Adobe Reader etc... can all be adjusted quite a bit, like 50%, 75%, 100% 125%.... you get the point. Possibly adjusting the zoom may help if it doesn't work out the best.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Install looks great! :) What did you use for routing the cables through? Or what the laptop is sitting on? Is that painted wood or carpeted wood?

And, I don't think you offended anyone, it's quite possible since a new topic was started that the original helpers haven't even seen this topic. For example, I am only subscribed to the Hardware Forum, System Building and Upgrading Forum, and Geek Talk. I'm sent an email each time someone starts a new topic in one of those forums, and I click the link from that email that takes me straight to the topic. It could months before I actually log on to Geekstogo.com and click on the "Off-Topic" forum or maybe the "Windows XP" Forum and see what's going on in there. I don't just browse the forum, I tell it what I want to see and when that happens, I'm sent an email with the original posters entire post sitting in my email client (Outlook, or Thunderbird). Also, once someone does make a reply in a topic, they are sent an email letting them know every time someone else has made a reply, that's how they know to go and look and see something new said.

Also, in my case, I must have been busy when you started this topic, because I never read the email that it was started. When I get busy, I just ignore the i.e. 20 "New Topic Notification" emails that are sitting in Outlook and I move on with my life. Either that, or I wasn't sent one. Who Knows...

I think that is how most avid users of Geekstogo does it, so that may be why. They may have not even seen your new topic yet because no emails have been sent and they haven't literally gone to G2G.com and physically clicked on the "Geek Talk" forum.

Sorry if that was lengthy, but that might be what has happened. I can't wait to see the monitor installed!! Post pictures please! :)

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Ferrari,

I am stil learning this about this thread/post thing so it helps to know how you "guys" or as troy puts it "Mates" get the info.

The cables at this point are routed through various trim pieces and under the after market carpeting. Being my occupation is sometimes wet, muddy, dusty, dirty, I always completely cover the nice new carpeting with a instutional type of carpeting.(as shown in previous pictures)

The fittment that the laptop is on is steel, powder coated black, fabricated from a old TV stand. I cut a grid in it and installed a "modified" twin fan cooler with a on & off switch and multiple USB ports. This "cooler" hides under the laptop tray. For the finishing touches on the tray, I made foam corner blocks to keep everything stable and suspended from vibrations, then made two "shafts" that match and are interchangable with the center head rest.(pull the center head rest out/line up the shafts and push the laptop tray in its place.)

The all in one printer is sitting on more fabricated steel, which is powder coated black and secured by cam locks for easy in and easy out.

The Pyle 10.4" monitor came today, looks trick, built well, pretty cool. I am somewhat worried, however about the resolution thing. The Pyle web site says its 800x640 res the Amazon web site says its a 640x480 res. Hopefully once I get it hooked up it will prove me wrong and I can stop worrying about it
not being adequate enough.

I will take pictures of all above as soon as I can.
Thanks again,
Gunnar

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I knew you did a nice job and all, but wow... that last post really showed how much you've put into this. Pretty cool. Can't wait to see more pictures!

I think it was the foam blocks that I was asking about that the cable lines are cut in. I really like that look, very nice.

gunn1

gunn1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yes, those are high density foam that were cut and glued up.(can be found at any craft store)

Thanks,

Gunnar