Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple problems with xp home sp3

• Please log in to reply

Rosedave

Rosedave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Problem with Laptop Win XP home.
I recently used 'Eraser' to edit some files. I beleive it edited some operating system files. I have tried to reinstall via external HD and DVD both resourced via 'Paragon 9 Drive copy'. No result. I now find that I am unable to open desktop folders, holding various files, also icons such as 'My Computer'. Start is ok but cannot open shown programes. Internet Explorer is functional; after a long wait to load, but unable to download Windows updates, error 0x800A0046. I have checked 'Userdata persistence' which I have dissabled and re enabled but still get same error message from Windows. I have spent some hours on this problem without success. I would like to be able to reinstall the exterior HD, which is clear of recent missfortune or possibly an easier solution which some genius member my be able to help. The backup disc's hold 'dos' files, the HD holds total system.
I do not have a functional start up set of disc's.
I beleive this is going to be a tough nut to crack.
Thanks for your sympathy but I do need your help.

Advertisements