Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 7 home premioum vs pro

• Please log in to reply

FayB

FayB

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have looked at a comparison chart that shows the differences in win 7 versions.

One difference is that the pro version can
"Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode."

What are some examples of Windows XP productivity programs?
If I choose home premium and end up with programs that will not run - is my only choice to purchase the win7 pro upgrade?

Thanks,
Fay

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
FayB-

Windows XP Mode was designed for small and medium sized business that use older versions of business-specific software. In the Windows XP Mode example video, the program MapPoint2002 was used as an example of a program that would run in Windows XP Mode. If you aren't running a small business or any mission-critical software, chances are you won't need to use Windows XP Mode.

To determine if you need to run a program in Windows XP Mode:
  • Try installing the program through Windows 7.
  • If that fails, right-click on the setup file and select troubleshoot compatibility.
  • Try altering the compatibility option. Right-click on the file, select properties and go to the compatibility tab and check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode for:. Then select the version of Windows the program is compatible with.
In answer to your second question, if you have programs that you absolutely must use, upgrading to Windows Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate editions will likely be your only option. Alternatively, you could download a free virtual machine such as Sun VirtualBox. You will need a valid version of XP, however, to run VirtualBox.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions. :)

FayB

FayB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think I will go ahead and get the PRO version just in case but hope I don't have to sue the xp mode. If I have problems - I will probably be posting back here.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Fay

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
FayB-

Glad I could help. Let me know if you need anything else :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Good advice FearNothing...

I wanted to make sure an add that XP Mode was also designed so the regular consumers old hardware will still work if not supported by Windows 7. If you have a web cam, printer, scanner, etc that is not supported by Windows 7 (aka doesn't have a driver for Windows 7) you will still be able to use that hardware under Windows XP Mode which is basically a computer within a computer (a virtual machine).

For example. My old web cam doesn't have a driver for Windows 7 and Logitech has no plans to make one. So I must use Windows XP mode to talk to friends and family via my webcam on Skype. See? My other option is to buy a new web cam, but I don't use it enough to justify the $50-$100 purchase.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 28 March 2010 - 09:27 AM.

FayB

FayB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ferrari,

I decided to go with the PRO version and have ordered my computer.

I think the big problem I am going to have with one of my printers is the lack of a parallel port on the computer. have an HP business inkjet 2280 with no parallel port and I want/need to keep it, but it has only a parallel port,no USB. I am planning on getting a parallel to USB cable, but users reviews are not very promising for it working. I was looking at a Belkin cable, I sent an inquiry to their support asking if it would work on win 7. The reply was that -it worked on VISTA so they had "reason to believe" it would work on WIN 7, but they could not say for sure :) So guess I'll just have to get a cable and try it.

Not sure about the drivers. When I go to HP site and look at the drivers for that printer- they have one listed for win 7 - 64 bit - but it is a generic driver. If I can get the cable to work. hopefully with the either the generic driver or with XP mode I'll be able to get the printer to work.

Thanks,
Fay

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Thanks for the input, Ferrari. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
FayB, it sounds like you are covering your bases well. Keep it up. Migrating to a new OS can have it's struggles, but we will all have to sometime or another... it's just the way it goes. :)

Thanks for the input, Ferrari.

No problem at all FearNothing... together we made a pretty good team. :)