Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run downloads, IE will not open [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nessa1422

nessa1422

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,
Have been having probs with numerous pop ups and ads so decided to try and clean up.
Followed directions on here and downloaded TFC, ERUNT and MBAM but I cannot open or run any. When I try and open IE I get a box up that asks me to 'choose the programme you want to use to open this file', but nothing works.
I have tried to open things via the control panel but get 'C:/WINDOWS/system32/rundl/32.exe Application not found.
When I try to open Word, I get 'application not found'.
The only way I can get online is to open Firefox which is running in safe mode.
Just can't open any applications, and any virus/spyware checkers just keep trying to run and not actually doing anything!
Would appreciate any help anyone could give.
Many Thanks,
Nessa.

Advertisements

Blade81

Blade81

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • MVP
Hi Nessa,

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of log.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com)
Note: If the window shows a message that says Error deleting file, please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

--

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from [url="http://<a%20href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com"%20target="_blank">http://download.blee...UBs/dds.com</a>"]here[/url] or here or here.
Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop. Post them back to your topic.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and assistance.

Posts as follows (I hope!!) :

Attached File  Attach.txt   32.19KB   296 downloads
Attached File  exehelperlog.txt   414bytes   150 downloads
Attached File  Attach.txt   32.19KB   296 downloads

I am pretty hopeless at attaching things, so no doubt this is wrong.
Many Thanks,
Nessa.

Attached Files

• Attached File  DDS.txt   20.25KB   227 downloads

Blade81

Blade81

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • MVP
Thanks for the logs :)

Is your Nod32 license still valid?

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix tool:

http://www.bleepingc...to-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully first.

Please continue as follows:

• Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link
    Remember to re-enable them afterwards.

• Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New dds log.

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Thanks.
Log attached

Attached File  log.txt   27.58KB   155 downloads

Regarding NOD - I cannot uninstall it and have been trying for months! When I try to remove it via control panel, I get a Set Up box with '(114) setup.xmlfiles is damaged or missing.'

Thankyou again for your help.
Nessa.

Blade81

Blade81

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • MVP
Hi,

Please try Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Nod32.

Also, please re-run DDS to get fresh dds.txt log.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Yes - NOD has finally left the building!!! Thanks SO much.

Have re-run DDS :
Attached File  DDS__2_.txt   17.18KB   185 downloads

Thank You.
Nessa

Blade81

Blade81

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • MVP
Hi again,

Do you use Adobe Acrobat for other duties than pdf conversions?

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Cannot-run-downloads-IE-will-not-open-t272401.html#entry1793979
Collect::
c:\documents and settings\Vannesa\Local Settings\Application Data\3292048846.dll
Driver::
NOD32krn
Folder::
c:\program files\eset
DDS::
BHO: {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - No File
BHO: Fast Browser Search Toolbar Helper: {fcbccb87-9224-4b8d-b117-f56d924beb18} - c:\program files\fast browser search\ie\FBStoolbar.dll
TB: Fast Browser Search Toolbar: {1bb22d38-a411-4b13-a746-c2a4f4ec7344} - c:\program files\fast browser search\ie\FBStoolbar.dll
mRun: [nod32kui] "c:\program files\eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
Firefox::
FF - ProfilePath - c:\docume~1\vannesa\applic~1\mozilla\firefox\profiles\nqe671ui.default\
FF - prefs.js: keyword.URL - hxxp://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/results/results.aspx?s=NAUS&v=18&tid={C52BBCB8-DC34-CDA3-5D89-8F08CD8F7CCC}&q=
SecCenter::
{E5E70D32-0101-4F12-8FB0-D96ACA4F34C0}

Save this as
CFScript

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

Posted Image

Close all browser windows, disable protection software and refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe
Then post the resultant log.

If you don't use Firefox anymore then uninstall it. Otherwise, upgrade it to the latest version here.

Uninstall old Adobe Reader versions and get the latest one (9.3 + update 9.3.1) here or get Foxit Reader here. Make sure you don't install toolbar if choose Foxit Reader! You may also check free readers introduced here.

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update to the latest version...

Updating Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 18.
  • Click the
    Download
    button to the right.
  • Select Windows on platform combobox and check the box that says:
    Accept License Agreement. Click continue.
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u18-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version. Uncheck Carbonite online backup trial if it's offered there.

Download ATF (Atribune Temp File) Cleaner© by Atribune to your desktop.

Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it

Under Main choose:
Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
Prefetch
Java Cache

*The other boxes are optional*
Then click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

If you use Opera:
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Please run an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner as instructed in the screenshot here.

Post back its report, a fresh dds.txt log and above mentioned ComboFix resultant log.

Blade81

Blade81

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • MVP
Hi again,

Do you use Adobe Acrobat for other duties than pdf conversions?

Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Cannot-run-downloads-IE-will-not-open-t272401.html#entry1793979
Collect::
c:\documents and settings\Vannesa\Local Settings\Application Data\3292048846.dll
Driver::
NOD32krn
Folder::
c:\program files\eset
DDS::
BHO: {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - No File
BHO: Fast Browser Search Toolbar Helper: {fcbccb87-9224-4b8d-b117-f56d924beb18} - c:\program files\fast browser search\ie\FBStoolbar.dll
TB: Fast Browser Search Toolbar: {1bb22d38-a411-4b13-a746-c2a4f4ec7344} - c:\program files\fast browser search\ie\FBStoolbar.dll
mRun: [nod32kui] "c:\program files\eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
Firefox::
FF - ProfilePath - c:\docume~1\vannesa\applic~1\mozilla\firefox\profiles\nqe671ui.default\
FF - prefs.js: keyword.URL - hxxp://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/results/results.aspx?s=NAUS&v=18&tid={C52BBCB8-DC34-CDA3-5D89-8F08CD8F7CCC}&q=
SecCenter::
{E5E70D32-0101-4F12-8FB0-D96ACA4F34C0}

Save this as
CFScript

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

Posted Image

Close all browser windows, disable protection software and refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe
Then post the resultant log.

If you don't use Firefox anymore then uninstall it. Otherwise, upgrade it to the latest version here.

Uninstall old Adobe Reader versions and get the latest one (9.3 + update 9.3.1) here or get Foxit Reader here. Make sure you don't install toolbar if choose Foxit Reader! You may also check free readers introduced here.

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update to the latest version...

Updating Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 18.
  • Click the
    Download
    button to the right.
  • Select Windows on platform combobox and check the box that says:
    Accept License Agreement. Click continue.
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u18-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version. Uncheck Carbonite online backup trial if it's offered there.

Download ATF (Atribune Temp File) Cleaner© by Atribune to your desktop.

Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it

Under Main choose:
Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
Prefetch
Java Cache

*The other boxes are optional*
Then click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

If you use Opera:
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Please run an online scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner as instructed in the screenshot here.

Post back its report, a fresh dds.txt log and above mentioned ComboFix resultant log.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Only use Adobe for reading documents.
Have uninstalled but cannot install new Adobe or Java. Get Windows Installer box stating 'Windows Installer Service could not be accessed'.

Also, ran ATF, did Combo Fix

Attached File  Log_2.txt   19.22KB   202 downloads

Ran Kaspersky - took over 3 hours, then got to 98% on the scan and froze. I don't have time now to re-do but will try this again tomorrow, but ran DDS again anyway :

Attached File  DDS___2.txt   20.92KB   160 downloads

Many Thanks,
Nessa.

Advertisements

Blade81

Blade81

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • MVP
Hi,

Only use Adobe for reading documents.

In that case either Adobe Reader or other free pdf reader solution should be used instead. Uninstall Adobe Acrobat and get Adobe Reader (9.3 + update 9.3.1) here or get Foxit Reader here. Make sure you don't install toolbar if choose Foxit Reader! You may also check free readers introduced here.

Before that can be done Windows installer must be made working first.

Click start->run->type services.msc and press enter. Look for Windows installer service and make sure its startup type is manual.

If it was disabled make sure its set to manual and then try to install Adobe Reader.

If startup type is manual and installing still fails go here and download WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe file to your desktop. Then run it.

Edited by Blade81, 30 March 2010 - 06:43 AM.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,
Installer is set to manual.
Have downloaded the Windows as directed but cannot run it. Get a box up asking which user account to run this programme and when I click ok, get an 'extraction failed' box saying access is denied.

However, things are running much better now, I can access my control panel and Itunes now and IE back up, so thank you so much for that.

Regards,
Nessa.

Blade81

Blade81

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • MVP
Hi,

Windows File Protection probably prevented older version from getting installed (which is good).

Click start->run->type services.msc to get access to services again. Then double click Windows installer service, check that on "log on" tab there's local system account option selected. After that, try to start the service by clicking start button on "general" tab. Then try to install those programs you couldn't earlier (there're also still old Javas there, remove those before installing fresh one).

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,

Have done the above, and get a box saying 'The windows installer service on the local computer started then stopped etc....' so got no further with that.

Have run Kaspersky again and once again it has stopped after nearly 6 hours!!

Thank you,
Nessa.

nessa1422

nessa1422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi,

Just to add that when I start Kaspersky, there was a box 'The application's digital signature has an error. Do you want to run the application?'

I said yes, but maybe that's why it won't finish?

Thanks,
Nessa.