Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on Startup...even in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

bucketosand

bucketosand

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yesterday my sister came to me saying she was having some computer problems. Now I'm no computer expert, but in our house I am. She said she was surfing the net when suddenly Norton popped up saying a virus was found. She has had problems with some fake antivirus spyware stuff, so she immediately turned off her computer (by pressing the power button). Now, every time she starts up her computer, she gets a blue screen after the Windows XP loading screen (the one with the green bar). My first idea was to try safe mode, but that too led to a blue screen. My next idea was to put in the Norton CD to boot off that. I did that, and Norton ran some little scan and found nothing. After that, I tried putting in the XP CD to try to repair the problem. I must have used the CD from some other system because all that did was bring up some C:\Windows command line thing after selecting repair and I didn't know where to go from there.

After no luck with all that, I turned to the internet, again failing to find a solution. So now I am here asking for help.

Some specific details:

- When booting in safe mode, it seems to hang up on mup.sys before bringing up the BSOD
- Every time the blue screen comes up it seems like there is a different error code. Here's some of them:

0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x822de7f0, 0xf88d07b4, 0xf88d04b0)

0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x822f77f0, 0xf88c47b4, 0xf88c44b0)

0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x823137f0, 0xf88bc7b4, 0xf88bc4b0)

0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x8231a7f0, 0xf89937b4, 0xf89934b0)

They're all stop codes, and there's no other stuff after that (no specific files or processes or anything like that...just the code)

She is running Windows XP Media Center Edition. I hope I have provided enough information, if not I'll definitely try to get more if requested. Again, I'm not a real expert, so any possible fixes would have to be fairly basic or step-by-step. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a good read on the mup sys error.

http://www.aitechsol...tsysXPhang.html

Since there was no hardware change, it is either a virus that got into the system, or the registry has been corrupted. You need to do a repair install( although i do not like to do this kind of repair) to fix the computer.

http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm

Personally i prefer to install the hard drive in another computer to see if i can save any data off it, then do a clean install when i put the drive back in the old computer. That way the comp is back to being fast and is not loaded down with junk.

SRX660

bucketosand

bucketosand

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you SRX660! I can't believe I was trying to restore her XP the wrong way. I was choosing the wrong option when I booted from the CD. That link really helped. Thanks again!