Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which websites are best for listing which running processes should be

• Please log in to reply

ctechnical

ctechnical

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Which websites are best for listing which running processes should be allowed or removed?
ZoneAlarm is constantly saying certain program are asking permission

How can the average person know which running programs should be allowed or removed? Which free websites maintain the better master lists?

For example, yahooauservice.exe wants access to the Internet, however it seems useless and unnecessary, so I blocked it. However, these types of files are asking frequently, so was hoping to find which site is reliable in helping one decide.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
That's a very good question ctechnical. Google will be your best friend in this instance. Just google 'what is yahoouaservice.exe'. Google's First Hit

Some are easier to research than others. Popular sites for malware research (but can be used for things like this too) are:
process library
systemlookup.

Remember, ask Google anything you'd ever like to know, it will give you the answers.

Edited by Ferrari, 27 March 2010 - 01:12 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
EDIT....delete...double post

Edited by happyrock, 27 March 2010 - 03:56 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you have to train zone alarm...when you first install it there will be a flurry of popups
every time a program tries to get to the internet..ZA pops up the message...do your search and decide if its ok or not...then put a tick in the box remember this setting...(lower left) then allow or deny as you decided...from now on that program will no longer bother you with a ZA popup...it may take a day or so and then ZA will quiet down and run silently in the background..
BTW... there are very few programs that need access all the time...your browser and any malware tools should always be allowed...I didn't even allow zone alarm or windows or IE access to check for updates...I did those manually myself...I'm currently behind a hardware firewall so I no longer use it at all but it is a good software firewall and I used it for years...

Edited by happyrock, 27 March 2010 - 03:55 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

then put a tick in the box remember this setting

Yes, most definitely. If you don't do that, you'll go insane.