Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system ini ... win.ini ... boot.ini ... gone...

• Please log in to reply

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hi fellow geeks.

I now encountered something I never saw before.
And I'm pretty sure neither one of you fellow geeks have seen this.

<image attached>

I'm pretty sure it has got something to do with recent spyware infections (which were 100% cleaned).
I had an empty dllcache folder from the start of fresh install, so I could track which files come there over the years.
Those files that come there by themselves are always spyware, so that helps me manually cleaning the infected files of system32.
Dllcache is just a back-up of system32, meant to fight spyware, but now that spyware uses that folder too, it fights against spyware better than intended, because
now they show themselves immediatly.

Point is, now that I don't have a boot.ini (and I checked it, it is really empty), how the [bleep] can I still boot windows?
Windows is still running fine as is, but I'm afraid changing anything now can screw over my system.

I checked hijackthis logs and they show nothing strange.
I used nod32, avg free version, SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and none of them show anything strange but 2 or 3 shady cookies (harmless material in this case)

Every time my system starts (except when returning from hibernation), it prints this line for half a second or less:

"Failed to read Boot.ini
Starting windows..."

Since it only takes half a second, I am not really bothered.
I use Hibernation in most cases and then the motherboard just skips all bootscenario's, like showing videocard and stuff and goes straight to loading hibernation state.

So after all, I'm little bothered by this, but is there any reason I should be afraid?

Thank you for any thoughts and help.
I/O-Error

Attached Thumbnails

• g2gEmptyMsConfig.JPG

Edited by IO-error, 26 March 2010 - 08:34 PM.

Advertisements