Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP~! Moron here...

• Please log in to reply

chinarainwater

chinarainwater

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey ok so i am not exactly ... well anyway .. I used EZ-cleaner to try and remove some duplicate pics and music from my computer (which are still there) and so i clicked .. find all duplicate files on my comp. Well to say the least it did. It said i had something like 15k files that were duplicate.. so i said ok.. delete em all... well after i hit delete all... it brought up an error screen that said YOUR A MORON, and have deleted important windows component files (or something along those lines) But by this time it wouldnt let me go back EEPPP and i cant run in safe mode too.. well save my life.. I am so not technically inclined its really quite sad. Ok sooo after all that.. i tried to bursh it off as if it was no big deal... EVERYTHING got so bad.

I couldnt play Wold of warcraft because nivida drivers were missing
So i did a system restore... ok things were ok...

THEN.... I started getting this really annoying Pinging.. It was the USB ports... ALL OF THEM were malfunctioning to the point where my keyboard would NOT work at all. So i went and got a new one....

Then the comp started to stall at the loading screen it would be VERY dark and just say windows.. and then never load so i would have to restart it and it would say start in safe mode? since it hadn't loaded properly last time? And i would click NO because i thought that it was something i was doing..

after all that... I sat down to relax thinking that i would plug in the Windows media CD and try a repair... (that i was being walked through from this site) well something went wrong there too. It said it was prepairing to install the windows stuffs.. UBS and what not.. but then it stopped at a screen that said what would you like to repair on (i THINK cant remember now) And i said 1 and Enter.... so it took me to ADMIN pass.. and i clicked enter again cuz there wasnt one... then it said what action would you like to preform but i dont know!? so What the...? So then i was like... dooood... ok screw this and i exited the whole thing and it did a system restore again and now i am writing this on borrowed time i am sure.

Any ideas as to what i can do? I have 2 GB in pics of my only daughter on here that i cant get off. Soooo i am at a loss horribly.. i dont have an external HD because i cant afford one right now. Also i have ART that i have done and about 2GB of music as well... soo please for the love of god HELP ME!

thanks... the moron... :cry: :)

Advertisements

chinarainwater

chinarainwater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
still hoping for an answer... anyone??.....

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
chinarainwater :)

1st....You waited only 2 hrs and 20 minutes and bumped your own topic. We are all volunteers here and have other commitments such as family and jobs.
2nd.... When you bump your own topic it looks like someone is already helping you. A lot of us look for zero posts and start on them 1st.

It sounds like you have messed up the system files.

I would suggest the Repair Install.
By your description, this is what you started and then aborted.

If you want to get your data off before you do this....Just in case....even though this leaves data intact, I would suggest booting from a live linux CD>

=================================================================================================
http://distro.ibibli...ons/puppylinux/

Happyrocks Instructions:

Get Puppy Linux... Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...
(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when unmouting the drive..ignore them..
when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in again..
click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working system..

Thanks to happyrock

123runner

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
A lesson learned, stay away from registry cleaners.

chinarainwater

chinarainwater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

A lesson learned, stay away from registry cleaners.

Actually it was the cleaner's fault. It was mine i thought i knew what i was doing and i didnt. The cleaner wasnt to blame...

chinarainwater

chinarainwater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

chinarainwater :)

1st....You waited only 2 hrs and 20 minutes and bumped your own topic. We are all volunteers here and have other commitments such as family and jobs.
2nd.... When you bump your own topic it looks like someone is already helping you. A lot of us look for zero posts and start on them 1st.

It sounds like you have messed up the system files.

I would suggest the Repair Install.
By your description, this is what you started and then aborted.

If you want to get your data off before you do this....Just in case....even though this leaves data intact, I would suggest booting from a live linux CD>

=================================================================================================
http://distro.ibibli...ons/puppylinux/

Happyrocks Instructions:

Get Puppy Linux... Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...
(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when unmouting the drive..ignore them..
when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash
drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in again..
click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working system..

Thanks to happyrock

123runner

Gah ok longest quote ever... anyway...

1. I didnt know how long to wait before bumping my thread. Sue me... Honestly why is it the first thing people do on forum boards is the assert there superiority over the "newbs" its really sad. I have a family as well. And i have alot better things to do than sit here wondering why an information site is not providing me with information! Mk? Thanks.

2. Thank you for the incredibly long and not "newb" friendly advice. There is no way i can follow the first paragraph let alone much else... If you didnt read my first post in its entirety then i can understand you misunderstanding my skills with computers. I cant even use the ezcleaner... soooooo.... i am really wondering what makes you think i could do anything you posted. ALSO... i did try the repair it said it was installing everything but then started asking what i wanted to run it on and admin pass ect.. i dont know wth i did but it didnt work. I then closed the comp down manually. So of course it prolly didnt work.

3. I am not tying to be an annoying [bleep] but honestly I just wanted to know if yall thought i should reformat or if i should try a REPAIR even though it said i would lose any information not backed up. Again i DO NOT understand computers. SUE ME... why would i be here if i did?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
This is the option I would use. It is better if you have another computer or laptop so you can keep the image on screen as you
go through the steps. This article has step by step instructions with pics.
Click on me
Cheers
peterm

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
So I am the 1st person to assist you and you come back at me with an attitude. This is not a great way to get assistance on this site or anywhere.

If you didnt read my first post in its entirety then i can understand you misunderstanding my skills with computers. I cant even use the ezcleaner... soooooo.... i am really wondering what makes you think i could do anything you posted.

I read every sentence word for word. You are not the only person that has "no skills". You have a head on your shoulder, you can think, and you should be able to follow directions.

You wanted an answer. The Repair is the 1st step. You aborted that. We need to try again as Peterm also suggested.

Any ideas as to what i can do? I have 2 GB in pics of my only daughter on here that i cant get off. Soooo i am at a loss horribly.. i dont have an external HD because i cant afford one right now. Also i have ART that i have done and about 2GB of music as well... soo please for the love of god HELP ME!

Your pictures of your daughter are important. I offered you a way to get your pictures of your daughter off the drive (as well as other data) so they could be preserved for that "just in case scenerio".
With out knowing whether it is a laptop or desktop, this is the way where you do not have to remove the drive.

I will tell you that we do not offer a reformat from the beginning. A reformat will cause you to lose everything. It is the very last thing we offer. We are also here to be sure that nothing happens to the data. We need to be sure that it is safe. No one wants to lose pictures of there kids (or any pictures/data period).

The way to recover it without removing the drive is offered. The choice is yours. We can work you through it. We have done it with others and have been very successful. The ultimate decision to anything done is yours..

Lets get past this and continue on. We have an admin (Peterm) jump in. That is a good thing. I can also PM another member to assist. We all have different skill levels. If you think my skills are not what you want, then I will go away and leave you with Peterm. This is your choice also.

123runner

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
I will keep watch on this and jump in if needed. 123 Runner is very good at this and knows what to do.
If you find any of the instructions not that easy to follow please post back and ask. If 123 Runner can't explain it easier then I will try my best to re explain. Please do not be put off as we are here to help and at times it can seem daunting for a newbie.
We normally are able to get even the most novice user up and running again.
PLEASE post if you are unsure of any steps.
You need to read 123 runners reply from Get puppy linux. If this is to awkward to understand let us know ad we will break it down into easier steps.
Cheers
Peterm