Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No repair to select from

• Please log in to reply

fattypomba

fattypomba

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I have and old xp cd from 2003, it only has s pack 1. On my daughters note book I can't boot it up it just says Missing or corrupt file windows32 system\config.
I have pluged an external CD drive into it with my old xp cd. it boots from the cd, but when following the instructions after entering F8 I do NOT have the option of REPAIR,,only to instale or quite. Please help.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your laptop has SP2 or SP3 on it from the factory the reason you cannot boot from the SP1 CD is because it does NOT recognize the newer hardware the laptop has. You will need a SP2 XP CD.

SRX660

fattypomba

fattypomba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Thanks for your reply. This is hard to explain. My daughter has a notebook lap top. It has xp on it.It's about 1 year old. just the other day she when to use it and it would not boot up. It just says windows could not start because of missing or corrupt file. I have an external CD drive that plugs into her usb port. In this external CD drive I put my old XP cd. It does come up with the screen that says press any key to boot from cd, OK so I do that then it loads files etc, then it comes up with the screen that says IF YOU WANT TO LOAD WINDOWS OR REPAIR OR QUITE. If I press R for repair it loads the recover page. This page asks for many complicated file commands to be entered. A better choose is at the first screen press enter then press F8 then I should get a screen that gives you the choose of to load a "fresh copy of windows"--- OR-"To repair the existing copy"-- or-"To quit" What I get is only the TWO "fresh copy of windows"-or-"To quit"

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
My guess is you are pressing R too soon. Xp has more then 1 repair option.
please look at this tute you will see that the option to press R is in two places, you need the second option
Click on me
Cheers
Peterm

fattypomba

fattypomba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi thanks for the reply. What I have been trying to say is that I don't have the second REPAIR option. I only have the first option. When I try for the second option The page only gives me the option of loading a fresh copy.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok we have to check - a lot of people only get to the 1st R and come unstuck.
If you do not have a repair option we have only a limited amount of options left.
1) try safe mode - Start tapping F8 on start up and you should get an option for safe mode.
If you do please try that option.
2) We do a parallel install.

It just says windows could not start because of missing or corrupt file

Which file is it reporting ?
Cheers
peterm