Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Can I Repartition My Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Posted Image

I have two physical hard drives in my computer [Disc 0, and Disk 1 in the picture above]. Disk 0 is a 80GB hdd that's partitioned into two halves. The first half of that drive carries my Windows XP O/S. The second half of it is just space I use for random data.

Disk 1 is a 160GB hdd that's partitioned into two halves as well. To be honest I just use these for random data.

Anyways here lies my problem... I'm running out of space on my "C:" drive that carries my OS!!! I have like 3GB of space left due to programs that use up so much room on my hdd. I have absolutely no files I can erase from it because I don't save anything to it. I use CCleaner regularly and I can assure you the space being used is likely eaten away by my applications. So I'd like to pass some space [10GB to be exact] over from my "E:" drive to my "C:" drive. They're both on Disc 0, so I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

The thing is I don't know how to do it, what software to use, or steps to follow. Can someone please give me a hand with this?

Thanks

:)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Still around? EH, superstar? Well from me here's my solution.

http://www.maximumpc..._or_losing_data

I have used it and it worked very well for me.

OR

you could use Drive image XLM to transfer your complete operating system to a larger partition( or just combine the partitions of the 80 gig drive together).

http://lifehacker.co...-driveimage-xml

SRX660

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I use the free version of Easeus Partition Master found in my signature below.
It is very easy to use.

123runner

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hey Srx660 heck yah I'm still around! I'm glad to see your still involved with this website as well.

The hard drive I'm trying to resize is actually in the same pc you helped me build some odd years back (the one with the clear case transformation). I still use it daily on a daily basis. And with the help you gave to a rookie like me, I've actually made spare money on the side building pcs for friends. I even used that spare cash to build a new pc! :)

Anyways back to the task at hand...

I think I'm going to try a hand at using "Gparted" re-partitioning software. The only thing I'm afraid of doing is resizing my os partition and not being able to boot after! Or having to repair windows xp as I've heard some people have to do after resizing their os partition. Those that do have to repair windows must use the os install disc to repair it... Fingers crossed!

I of course am making a complete image backup of my hard drive before trying out "Gparted" software. I'll be using "Acronis true image" to make my backup. But hey Srx660 have you ever experienced any booting issues after resizing your os partition with "Gparted"? Or having to repair the os with a windows xp disc after resizing?

Thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
When i used gparted i combined 2 partitions into a single drive. I had no problems at all on the computer i did this to. I have not used it for any other experiments.
I still have "Drive Image 8" and use it often to move a OS from one drive to a larger drive. So by using drive image i have never had to reinstall the OS , or do a repair install. Personally, i hate repair installs since i tend to NOT make any money doing so. It's much easier to do a clean install and at least the customers have a pretty fast computer for a while since all the garbage put on the computer is gone then. Some complain that they have to resetup the OS but they should have backed up in the first place and made a image of their system when they had it like they wanted it. I still use Norton ghost to do this on my own computers.

So far i have not tried using any of these on SATA drives yet, but i'm itching to try. The newer drives are so large that even when i split them into 2 or 3 partitions, each partition is 100 gig's or more. Thats plenty for any OS.

SRX660

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Well I tried using GParted and failed miserably. I had to start a topic over at the official GParted forum. I apparently did eveything right, but not in the right order if that makes any sense! Lol! What a drag my system got messed up, but lucky for me I restored the entire drive with an image of it I made prior to messing with GParted. Hey if you want to take a stab at my issue your welcome to check it out by all means and answer there, or here.

http://gparted-forum...ic.php?id=14073

Thanks!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I use the free version of Easeus Partition Master found in my signature below.
It is very easy to use.

123runner

I have never had a issue

hmmstefanie

hmmstefanie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows built-in tools: disk management and diskpart can do some help in carrying out the operation. Another third party tool, AOMEI Partition Assistant can do great help with many specially designed functions, such as, create, delete, resize, split partition and so on. For more information, you can go to: http://www.extend-pa...ve-windows.html