Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a KVM

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
As the title states I am in the market for a KVM switch for my computer repair shop. Right now I have this crappy 2port KVM that I got off of ebay for $10.00 and I would like to keep that to my servers since I don't use the console on them much.

I am in the market for a normal VGA with USB & PS/2 Connectors for each PC since some of the systems that come in don't have PS/2 connectors or only have one. So USB for KB/Mouse is a must have option. I prefer straight USB if it will be cheaper. But looking on newegg I don't know where to start. All the reviews are mixed on them. I am looking for a kvm that supports 4pcs. Budget is preferably under $200 shipped. If a unit is highly suggest and will cost just over $200 with shipping but my max cost I am looking at is 200$ for the KVM plus shipping. But prefer to keep it under $200 shipped.

When it comes to KVM's I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I bought my first one, Crappy quality (don't work at full res unless supplemental Power is supplied) and the keyboard and mouse go all haywire when switching machines. (random input on the keyboard and can't control the mouse) It will stay like that until I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del on the keyboard and click the mouse button.

Thanks Jon

Edited by amw_drizz, 27 March 2010 - 05:33 AM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I bought a fairly decent KVM for about $80 from my local Microcenter. It doesn't support USB which I was fine with, but one thing I didn't realize is that KVM's (as far as I know now) don't really work in BIOS screens and during installation of Windows. It will work on the primary machine you are working with when you first start, but as soon as you switch to the next PC to start getting the BIOS ready to install Windows I noticed that when you switch back to the original machine to check on the install progress all keyboard and mouse support is lost. The primary reason for purchasing this was so I could install windows on 4 machines at a time without using the space necessary for 4 monitors, mouse, and keyboards.

Working from within windows, it works outstanding, never skips a beat.

Also, a friend of mine with 35+ years experience said ALWAYS get a KVM that requires a dedicated power supply. They really screw up bad without it.

That's all I really know, just thought I would post my thoughts.