Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use Hughes Net

• Please log in to reply

KVan49

KVan49

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
We had Hughes Net installed yesterday because our dial up was sooo slow. I cannot connect to Hughes with either our desk top Dell Dimension or our Acer Aspire 3050 laptop running Windows XP. Both machines have Firefox and IE 7. My son's Mac connects to Hughes just fine as does my husband's Compaq running Vista.

I was on the phone for hours with Hughes tech support yesterday and they haven't a clue why my two machines won't load up any pages on Hughes. Someone there is supposed to call me back.

If anyone can help, I'd be most appreciative; but be warned, I'm an old Granny with only limited computer savvy! :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi KVan49 :)

Did the installer come out to install this as they state on there web page?
If so, they should not have left till they completed the job.

How are the computers connected to the Hughes Net?
In other words, are you wired to a router and then to a modem?
Are they all wireless or a combination of both?

KVan49

KVan49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The Hughes Installer set us up. We are connected via cable to the modem. When he was here, he had my laptop connected and showed me how it was pulling up Yahoo, Hughes Net, Google. He said my laptop was running faster than our desktop, but I had work on our desktop I needed to finish, so he switched the cable back to that machine and left. At the time, I had two grandbabies crying and the cat jumping in the new chicks box so I didn't try it myself before he left--my fault there!

Both computers connect with this cable because we don't have a wireless router yet.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
So if I understand correctly then you are using only 1 cable from the modem to connect to each of the 4 computers.
And depending on which computer you want on the internet you are moving the cable.

KVan49

KVan49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Correct.

KVan49

KVan49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Speaking now of the laptop, I have run TFC, ERUNT, Malwarebytes (Quick Scan--nothing found), and it is now running GMER Rootkit.

Edited by KVan49, 27 March 2010 - 08:16 AM.

KVan49

KVan49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
GMER Rootkit has finished but the results make no sense to me as i don't know very much about computers.

I have downloaded OLT to the desktop but haven't run it yet.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The laptop issue would have to be addressed in the Malware Forum since it is the only place those logs can be looked at. If you feel the issue may be a infection then you would need to start a new topic in the malware forum and include all the required logs as indicated below.
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

As far as the Hughes network issue i would have to agree with 123Runner and the installers should have completed the job as that is what they were there for. You are paying for them to install the service I'm sure on your bill so I would suggest calling them and having them come out and redo the installation to et it running correctly.

KVan49

KVan49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK, thank you for your time; I appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and i hope we have pointed you in the right direction to resolve your two issues. Please let us know what Hughes finds out.

Advertisements

KVan49

KVan49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, I didn't even know where to start--if this was a known issue or spyware problem, hardware, etc. I'll try the other forum and thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One other issue i will ask about is are you actually using a cable modem or a router?
Since it is obvious you are moving ONE line between the systems i would say you have a modem. Did the installer check all systems before he left or just the laptop as you described?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The op is moving the cable from the modem to all computers.

If this is the case I would recommend a router with 4 cables (1 cable for each of the computers).
If you are considering wireless at some time, then a router with wireless capabilities.

KVan49

KVan49

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The installer checked them both; he said the laptop was running faster than the desktop model. I was busy wrestling alligators and foolishly took his word for it. I did see the few pages he was pulling up on the laptop, like our mail, his Yahoo page and a few others and they were loading up pretty fast. When I talked to Tech Support at Hughes the rep said that she could access our computer on her end and she had no problem loading up multiple pages. Also, the signal strength is very good, 186 and we only need 145 for it to work well. We are connecting with a cable directly to a Hughes 9000 modem and we tried a new cable, too.

Since my son's Mac and now my husband's laptop connect just fine and load up pages like a house afire, I'm inclined to think it is a problem with our big Dell (a 2002 beast) and our Acer laptop. I just don't know what that problem might be. We've run things in Safe Mode, all the virus scans don't turn up a thing, Trojan Hunter found nothing, reset IE, switched to Firefox. I'm just kinda sitting here with my "I Dunno" face hanging out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm just kinda sitting here with my "I Dunno" face hanging out

. :)
Try this and see if it works.
Reboot into Safe Mode With networking and try the internet then.
Does it work?
If so then we would need to look at the Startups in your MSConfig to see what might be stopping it.