Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cox intermittent problems

• Please log in to reply

nukeracer83

nukeracer83

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, my system is as follows
Gateway GT5656 desktop (vista home premium 32-bit)
Linksys wireless N adapter WMP300N
Belkin wireless N router F5D8235-4 V2
Motorola surfboard modem SB6120 (docsis 3.0)
Connected with CAT6 cable
New cable from modem to box
New ground cable
New drop line
New splitter at drop line
and installed today, some device to lower my signal? sounds like BS to me.

The problem started when I asked them to upgrade my service from 3mbps to 10mbps. Since then everything has been replaced and we still lose the internet about twice a day. 6 of their techs have been to the house, they never find anything, just replace whatever. All of the tech support people say my signal is perfect when its off. We have no cable tv or phone through them (don't know if that helps). Today the field tech supervisor didn't find any problems. Is it just me or is the problem not at my house? Also, I'm not very good with computers, but I can follow your instructions if need be.

Thanks

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

New splitter at drop line
and installed today, some device to lower my signal? sounds like BS to me.

Actually, it can be important to attenuate the incoming signal, which they likely have done.

Have the splitters in your house been replaced as well?

The best way to tell is to have you connect only one PC, with firewall enabled, directly to the Motorola SB6120. This way you may be able to rule out your equipment as being the cause.

Once the PC is connected to the SB6120, type 192.168.100.1 in your browser. Does it bring up a diagnostic page?

nukeracer83

nukeracer83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
All splitters have been removed when the problem started, the line comes in to the ground and then straight to the modem. I have had the computer directly connected to the modem with no success. We've also tried a Docsys 2.0 modem and a different router in all possible combinations, once Cox installed one of their brand new modems along side mine with same problem occuring. The splitter that was replaced is on the telephone pole.

The diagnostic page says
DOCSIS Downstream Channel Acquisition Done
DOCSIS Ranging Done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Done
Establish Time Of Day Done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Done
Register Connection Done
Cable Modem Status Operational
Initialize Baseline Privacy Done

Cable Modem Operation Value
Current Time and Date Mar 28 2010 13:41:12
System Up Time 0 days 21h:38m:55s

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 204 203
Frequency 849000000 Hz 843000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB 37 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256
Power LevelThe Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
1 dBmV 1 dBmV

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 38476000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 7600
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level 51 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [5] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 204 203
Total Unerrored Codewords 3128402114 3128402326
Total Correctable Codewords 14 2
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 1728 1423

Frequency Plan: North American Standard/HRC/IRC
Upstream Channel ID: 4
Favorite Frequency (Hz) 849000000
DHCP Server Enabled
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

Note:
Resetting the cable modem to its factory default configuration will remove all stored parameters learned by the cable modem during prior initializations. The process to get back online from a factory default condition could take from 5 to 30 minutes. Please reference the cable modem User Guide for details on the power up sequence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by nukeracer83, 28 March 2010 - 11:46 AM.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB 37 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256
Power LevelThe Downstream Power Level
1 dBmV

Power Level 51 dBmV

Your power levels and SNR are within range, with the Upstream (Tx) Power creeping near the max of 55dBmV.

Take a few more readings, especially after a problem occurs. Please save those to a txt file.