Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

These parts look good?

• Please log in to reply

josh8587

josh8587

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I hope this is okay to do. I am posting links with brief descriptions of parts I am looking at for a new system. I want the system to be able to play current and near future games at the highest fidelity. I do't want uber high end or expensive, but decently good if that makes sense.

Please, submit comments and suggestions. This is my first build and I am still saving for it.

Specific questions:
Is the power supply optimal?
The case too large?
Should anything be upgraded or downgraded?
The AMD/ATI setup okay?

Thanks for your help and I hope I an doing this right.

Motherboard ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Motherboard - AMD 790FX, Socket AM3, ATX

CPU/Video Card AMD Phenom II X4 955 & XFX Radeon HD 5850

Memory Corsair Value Select PC10600 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz -- Four of them

Blu Ray Drive LG Blue Ray Drive

Case Thermaltake Spedo VI90001W2Z Full-Tower Case

Main HDD Western Digital WD8000AARS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 800GB, 3.5", SATA-3G

HDD for OS and other main programs Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300

Power Supply Ultra X4 600-Watt Modular Power Supply

That's it I think. So, what ya think?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Everything looks pretty nice and is compatible.

I don't really like the way you have the hard drives setup. If it was my system, look for the fastest hard drive possible for your OS and main programs. Then look for something large and fairly priced for the storage drive for your music, pictures, videos, and documents.

I'm not sure exactly what sizes you want for each, but here is a hard drive chart showing READS and then WRITES. Other benchmarks HERE. The higher the number the better. Maybe go back and rearrange that.

Anther option is to just get 1 large drive like a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32mb cache and just partition the drive. For example,

[-------100gb-------][--------------------------900gb-----------------------------]
Main OS / Prog. All Data storage, music, pictures, videos, etc.

Another thing to consider is an SSD (Solid State Disk/Drive) for your main drive but they are fairly pricey, but coming down it seems like everyday. Then pop a 1TB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) for your storage.

It would be a nice system for sure. As for if the case is too big, that's up to you. It is a Full Tower, so it will be quite large compared to most OEM computers like a Dell that you would see. I like big cases personally.

Hope that helps and be sure to ask questions if you'd like. :)

EDIT: My apologies, you had specific questions.

Is the power supply optimal?

Yes, it looks good. Most people tend to agree that Corsair makes the best PSU... so take a look at this 650 watt Modular PSU It annihilates the Ultra you linked too, on second thought, I'd change to that one if I were you.

Should anything be upgraded or downgraded?

Everything looks pretty nice. Just an FYI, if you can afford it when the time comes, get the 5870, its their flagship... very nice. And, also when the time comes, see what ASUS has to offer for motherboards with USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s since both of them just came out. Then look for a hard drive with 6gb/s too (might be more expensive though)

The AMD/ATI setup okay?

Yes, AMD makes good processors and is usually considered much more bang for your buck since they are cheaper than Intel. I think it's safe to say the Core "i" series of Intel processor are extremely faster, but they come at a price. Do some research on a Core i7 socket 1366 or Core i5/i7 socket 1156 and see if those prices fit in your budget. CPU HIERARCHY CHART <-- take a look.

OK, ask questions if you'd like. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 27 March 2010 - 09:07 PM.

josh8587

josh8587

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Excellent advice on the hard drives! Thanks for your input Ferrari!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I made an edit to answer your specific questions, you responded quickly :) Read the EDIT added to the first post.

Thanks for your input Ferrari!

You are very welcome.